Spalted Sweet Gum from a Shorts Box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from james1725

james1725

I have been working on my CA finish and I used this kit and a short piece of spalted sweet gum to practice. I really like the wood. I'm not crazy about the pen kit. I like the overall look of the pen but the kit, not so much. Its a Apprentice kit. Anyone use them and what do you think about them

1_pen-1a.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

I haven't played with the Apprentice, so mot much help there. With better light in the picture it would show the finish off more effectively. It looks like you have a good finish, but it's a dark picture. I still have a ton of spalted sweetgum I never got around to turning. I guess I gotta go do something about it now....

SDB777

I've got a stack of Sweetgum sitting beside the house, wish it would warm up around here and do the 'spalting thing'!

Was wondering if the Sweetgum when turned smells like it does when my bandsaw mill is tearing through it?

Fit-n-finish looks spot on! You definitely made a winner!

Scott (and you's from Cabot too) B

OldGrumpy

I regularly use the Gatsby kit which I think is the same thing. They seem pretty popular and about half the time that is my pocket pen.

toyotaman

I just started using the Apprentice Classica kit from CSUSA and found them alot better quality than the slims. I'm slowly working my way up the ladder. What is the next step up from this? I really like the spalted lines in that one.

I just turned a few candleholders and wine stoppers out of some sweetgum I found in the lot next to my parents. Its been there about a year so its spalted, and full of worm holes. Other than worm guts flying everywhere and that end grain giving me fits to smooth, Ive really enjoyed working with it. I do have a question tho... does anyone know a way to keep the pink veins from turning colors? It looks like they will eventually turn a greyish silver, but Id like to keep that from happening too soon.

Top Bottom