Spalted, Scraps, and Pink?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

20082169374_samples.jpg

Here are a couple pens I finished recently. The first set consists of one of my first classic twists pens. After finishing, I noticed the bottom of the upper barrel is a little thick. Something to work on next time. I thought the wood was maple, but after turning I believe it might be poplar. It was a bit soft so after prior to sanding I tried something new and soaked it in Minwax wood hardner. Soaked in like water and sanded like wax, but it did the trick.

The second one is made up of scraps I had after cutting some blanks. White Oak, Paduak, Lyptus, and Cocobolo.

The last one I included is a Polaris Satin finished kit. I like the way it finished off the pink with that girly look for my little girl. She said there is a boy in her class that is always wanting to borrow a pen. I told her to let him use this one and see if he comes back for more.[:X]

As usual, I know theyre a little chubby, but Ive always been a sucker for nice curves!;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

Originally posted by oobak

John,
Nice collection of pens. The spalted are really nice, but the segmented one is my favorite. Is the kit a slimline or a comfort sans grip?

Thanks, I left out that it has brazillian cherry in it also. The kit is a comfort black titanium. I just didnt use the rubber grip. I like to show off more of the wood or material and cant bring myself to cut it out for the rubber sleeve. Maybe someday for something different.

Top Bottom