Spalted Red Elm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

On a TN Americana. And I really don't think I care much for this kit. This is my 2nd and they were both exactly to the bushings after sanding, but the tenon is too small on both by just a fraction. The first time I thought I must have over done it a bit. This time I was extra careful. Nope, I still had to use thick CA to get it to stay put. I like the CBs on turned tenons to be a press fit. The other thing I don't care for about this pen is that the lower barrel just seems too small compared to the finished size of the upper... much like the Olympia. The fix for the Oly is easy, but since this is a double twist and the lower barrel moves in and out slightly depending on the direction you twist I didn't think that fix would work well on this pen. So I came up with a compromise. You know me, I have to be different! [:p]

200591643547_americana_spalted_redelm.jpg

You can thank my muse for this one! As always, thanks for taking the time to look and feel free to say what comes to mind. :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
yes, tenons are a bear, sometimes. I agree with the transition in size from the cap to body difference, as well. I dont make many of those, unless requested. I keep a couple for show, thats it.
I like the spalted wood, looks like maple? Nice adjustment in design on the body.

Czarcastic

Billy:
I love working with spalted elm. I got a small load of it from a "blow-down" in my BIL's yard, and turn a piece every chance I get. It's a great wood to work with and finishes beautifully.
As far as the kit goes, I've only ever turned this one "straight" bushing-to-bushing, Otherwise, I think the pen looks unbalanced, as you mentioned.
This is the same kit, Claro walnut, straight B2B turning.
tn_claro%20walnut%20classic%20americana.jpg

I, too, had the same problem with the tenon on this kit and had to use some thick CA to get it to stay.

I think you did a great job on this kit.

alamocdc

Thanks, guys! Glenn, I don't have problems with the tenons on my Olys or my Designers (Euros), just these. I think the bushing is a few thousandths too small actually. Steven I did my first of these B2B and like I said, I think the lower barrel looks too small compared to the upper, but I may have misunderstood you. [:I] Anyway, thanks again, everyone! [:D]

atvrules1

Good looking pen Billy. I like to use that same shape with those kits to try and balance the look. I find it also reduces the pens tendancy to be top-heavy when used. Your fit and finish look great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom