Spalted Quina & Curly Red Apple Slimmies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

Two pens that turned out a lot better than I expected. The Quina is mostly sapwood with the yellow heartwood topping the pen. Got some nice action from the spalted portion. The curly apple displayed a lot more curl than I figured it would. Both MM-12,000, Triple Buff, 3 layers CA-BLO, MM-12,000, Double Buff, Ren Wax.

Spalted Quina Pen
scimg4907.jpg

scimg4909.jpg

Curly Eastern Red Apple Pen
scimg4925.jpg

scimg4926.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

Nice as well. On a slim making kick?

A friend I work with wanted 10 pens to give as gifts. She has done a lot for me so I agreed to make them. I made a big cigar for her hubby and these slims are for the rest of her list. That also explains why I did 3 layers of CA-BLO instead of my normal 7.

I tried to do mass production and found a good lesson... always inspect your kits before starting mass production processes. Two 7mm Pencil kits slipped in. The tubes are shorter than the pen kit tubes. So I processed all the tubes together and didn't notice the slight difference. That cost me two blanks down the tubes with mismatched tubes. Luckily I had two of the pencil tubes end up on a single Cocobolo blank so that one was saved. Bree <<--- DUMB!!!
:wink::wink::wink:

rpearson

Bree,
Good save on the mass production and mix up on tubes! Sure been there along with the frustration... Now I place each pen or pencil set in it's own little divider as I work through the production run. It's just a plastic box with divider sections and holds something like 24 separate sets.
Again, Great Finishes! I'm setting up to do a very similar run for a friend and all slims too :)

Top Bottom