Spalted Poplar Burl Zen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pitoon

Pitoon

Spalted Poplar Burl Zen

Here's a Zen that I think came out pretty nice. A bit of history on the blank, about 6 years ago they were cutting down a bunch of trees at the base where I work. I took home several van loads of wood to my father in law for fire wood. When I was helping him unload the van one log caught my eye as it had a nice sized burl on it. I asked him to cut that piece off for me and to put it aside. Well it was in a plastic bag for 6 years drying out.

Last month I finally cut it up and got 8 good sized blanks from it. Also because it was in a plastic bag the moisture had no place to escape so the piece eventually spalted in the bag. This blank was one of the hardest wood blanks I've done yet. There was a ton of soft and hard spots which didn't help when I turned it down. It also took me about 2 weeks to complete the finish as I kept burning through the CA.

Over all i believe it was well worth the wait.

Thanks for looking!

Pitoon

1454614_596372800412706_2127947898_n.png

1452146_596372797079373_1892725860_n.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pitoon

Thanks guys! I like this pen so much i'm thinking to keep it for myself. I only have six blanks left.....as the first attempt that blank blew up on me. I have to pair the rest up wisely now.

Pitoon

OZturner

Pitoon, what a beautiful pen,
Love the Blank, you did a great job, and you had a great a pretty piece of timber to start with,
The Zen is a great pen to match the Blank.
You have every right to be proud, your Fit and Finish is Superb, in particular considering the difficulties you had.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Pitoon

Love the Blank, you did a great job, and you had a great a pretty piece of timber to start with,
You have every right to be proud, your Fit and Finish is Superb, in particular considering the difficulties you had.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Brian,
Thanks for the kind words! Any new items you turned lately?

Pitoon

Jim Burr

Banned
If you were in the states, I'd stabilize that for you...beautiful job and great eye for sweet wood!

OZturner

Congratulations,
Brian.

Brian,

Pitoon
Sorry to report still working on getting the garage/workshop, organised enough that I can enter with out walking side ways. That is in between various medico related appointments, for both SWMBO and me.
I am slowly getting there, (slowly being the significant word).
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Pitoon

Congratulations,
Brian.

Brian,

Pitoon
Sorry to report still working on getting the garage/workshop, organised enough that I can enter with out walking side ways. That is in between various medico related appointments, for both SWMBO and me.
I am slowly getting there, (slowly being the significant word).
Kindest regards,
Brian.

I just clean half my garage last Friday. Took about 8 hrs to do....still have the other half to finish. I touched things that haven't been touched in years. So off it went to the eco center. I figured if i didn't touch it in so long i could do without it.

I also just finished up another resin blank today during lunch. Will post pics of that one later tonight.

I'm looking forward in seeing your turned pens!

Pitoon

SDB777

Six years in a bag around my place and I would have had mushy shaving and worm trails remaining!

Nice chunk of timber! And well turned!!!!

Scott (bugs and humidity aren't too friendly) B

Pitoon

Six years in a bag around my place and I would have had mushy shaving and worm trails remaining!

Nice chunk of timber! And well turned!!!!

Scott (bugs and humidity aren't too friendly) B

LOL! The bag was in my garage hanging off my ping pong table. It was never in direct contact with the ground. Still trying to figure out what to do with the remaining blanks. I have a Venus kit on the way....i might pair a blank up with that kit.

Pitoon

Top Bottom