Spalted Pecan on a St. Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Haven't shown a turned item in a while.....figured I remind everyone(as well as myself) that I still know how to assemble a pen kit!

Had some of these blanks offered in the 'Individual Classified Section'(cheap), and no one wanted 'em. So I grabbed the first two blanks on the stack and made these two(2) pens.

004-2.jpg

No fancy photo(sorry, just a point-n-shoot, then crop and post).

Turned this blank round, applied some thin CA, turned almost to bushings, second coat of thin CA, skewed to bushings, and applied final coat of thin CA. Sanded with 220grit and 400grit, used some EEE on a rag, then MacGuire's PlastixPolish and some wax......nothing to be scared of with crosscut spalted pecan!

Comments and criticisms welcome....thanks for looking.

Scott (skews still sharp....) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

U-Turn

Nice looking pens - have tired some pecan in the past but never had any come out as good as yours - have not found any spalted. Ran all over South Georgia getting the cuttings to use - bummer.

Drstrangefart

Nice looking pens - have tired some pecan in the past but never had any come out as good as yours - have not found any spalted. Ran all over South Georgia getting the cuttings to use - bummer.

I'll keep an eye out at work. I'm out at the University of West Ga, and we have some respectable pecan trees floating around.

SDB777

U-Turn,

I try to cut from the crotches to get the best grain structure to use in the spalted pecan logs.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Had fun turning something, instead of just cutting blanks.....made for a good change!

Scott (it's was raining too) B

Old Lar

Great pens, I really like the spalted pens. I have made quite a few of my own and enjoy the challenge. It is not easy to turn punky wood. Of course I buy thin ca by the quart. (I am sure Monte likes spalted woods too)

SDB777

Wouldn't quite call it 'punky', but close. I use the thin CA soak as a way to control some 'tearout' when turn crosscut blanks more out of habit. That way I don't need to spend the afternoon sanding through a 'pit' in the endgrain....

Treasure Map pen....hmmm? Has a nice ring to it..................

Scott (what's the prize though) B

Top Bottom