Spalted Pecan Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from propencity

propencity

Finished turning this beautiful spalted pecan only to find out during assembly that this Jr. Gent kit I have only fits an ink cartridge. A standard converter does not fit through the coupler that comes with this kit. This may be an older generation of Gent Jr. Kinda disappointing to find this out at the end. I tried another set from this batch of kits and they all have the same problem. The metal collar portion of the converter is too big to fit thru the coupler. Anyone else has had this problem?

The spalted pecan had been sitting in the garage for quite some time and was dry. It needed a few application of CA during the turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Is the convertor aftermarket(to be read as 'one of the good ones') or the one that comes from most vendors(to be read as 'one of those cheap ones')?

I to have found the 'good convertors' don't fit into this kit....but the cheap one does just fine. It's a shame to go 'cheap', but if you just need to use something besides a 'cartridge'....you are sort of stuck.

Bringing back memories of hours spent millin', diggin' out the best of the best, and trimmin' down a bunch of Spalted Pecan... Love the color and nice thin line spalt you have in this blank!

Scott (thousands of pieces) B

lwalper

Since I've never used this kit I may just be blowin' smoke, but would it be possible to polish out (or drill it out to the necessary size?) the inside of the coupler without buggering up the threads? All the work will all be inside so the plating won't be damaged??

BTW - beautiful pen!

propencity

Is the convertor aftermarket(to be read as 'one of the good ones') or the one that comes from most vendors(to be read as 'one of those cheap ones')?

I to have found the 'good convertors' don't fit into this kit....but the cheap one does just fine. It's a shame to go 'cheap', but if you just need to use something besides a 'cartridge'....you are sort of stuck.

Bringing back memories of hours spent millin', diggin' out the best of the best, and trimmin' down a bunch of Spalted Pecan... Love the color and nice thin line spalt you have in this blank!

Scott (thousands of pieces) B

I've tried a few (cheapo ones without the collar and Schmidt ones with the collar), and none have fit thru the coupler. I'll keep looking for others.

I'll repeat the word stunning. ..wish I had some wood like that. Bet that was some hard wood!

Not really hard wood; dry more than anything. A sharp skew and CA took care of it.

Since I've never used this kit I may just be blowin' smoke, but would it be possible to polish out (or drill it out to the necessary size?) the inside of the coupler without buggering up the threads? All the work will all be inside so the plating won't be damaged??

BTW - beautiful pen!

There is not much wall thickness to the coupler and the nib section screws into the coupler. Drilling thru the inside stands good chance of stripping the inner threads.

Thanks all. I think I'll also check the squeeze-type converters to see if those fit.

Top Bottom