Spalted Pecan with CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LeeR

LeeR

This pen represents a couple firsts for me:

1. Turning spalted wood
2. Using a CA finish

I've now done 23 pens, having started in the Fall, turning 15 or so for Christmas presents, and a handful for gifts to coworkers. I was a little apprehensive, having jsut turned an Inlace Acrylester blank previously, and that was a real pain, but it turned out pretty nice.

I bought several spalted pecans blanks from IAP member McBryde in early February. I finally completed a pen using one of his blanks (or I should say 1/2 of one of his blanks). I had bought about 5 really nicely figured blanks. McBryde generously threw in extras. I decided to use one of the "freebies" for practice, in case I ruined it. I actually blew apart the lower blank, when carelessly using a pen mill to trim the end. I used a disc sander to trim the upper blank, and all looked good ... but the blank felt like balsa. I covered it with thin CA, and began turning. Every 1/16" thickness or so that I removed, I re-applied the CA and kept going. I used a reground round scraper, with a slight top bevel to make it less aggressive. I've used the same scraper for acrylics with much success. (I saw the tip in a catalog. (I'm not that advanced a turner that I'd make up a special grind for a lathe tool all on my own!). After I got close to final shape, I switched to a skew. Now the next step was to try a CA finish, since this blank needed more CA to keep it in one piece. I placed an order with Johnnycnc for Delrin Eliminator bushings, and when they arrived in a few days, I mounted the blank between the bushings and proceeded with a few coats of thin, 6-7 coats of thick, and then MicroMesh'd to 12000, followed by HUT Plastic Polish.

Not wanting to cut up another blank for the rest of the pen, I decided to use an black acrylic blank for the lower portion.

I did a slight modification to this "budget" slimstyle. I bought these kits on sale, but I really am not much of a slimstyle fan. Rather than the use the skinny center band, I used the center band from a Streamline 7mm pen. I have a number of these kits, and was fortunate enough to get some of these CBs from fellow IAP members, to use on the few slimstyles I have left. (Thanks to Larry in Harrow and Rick_G for their generosity.) I also didn't realize I was buying the kits with the black stripe, but think they complement the black streaks in the pecan quite well.

Attachments

• spalted-pecan-sm.jpg
    spalted-pecan-sm.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

WOW!!

For a 'freebie blank' it certainly looks first rate. Nice touch using the acrylic for the lower part of the pen...makes it look 'first class'!

Scott (ya done good) B

McBryde

Hey Lee,

It looks like you did that piece of wood justice to me! I'm kinda partial to that spalted pecan stuff myself, but it looks like you did a really nice job with it! Keep up the great work!

Emerson

LeeR

Hey Lee,

It looks like you did that piece of wood justice to me! I'm kinda partial to that spalted pecan stuff myself, but it looks like you did a really nice job with it! Keep up the great work!

Emerson

Emerson,

I am looking forward to doing more. I've had a lot of compliments at work on this pen. Next I'll try one of the more highly figured pieces I got from you, but this one really surprised me at how much nicer it turned out than expected. In fact, since I was mostly experimenting on the first one, that is why I tried it out on one of my cheaper slimstyle kits.

McBryde

Lee, it seems that it is tougher to turn a slimline in one of those than a larger pen, not sure why, but it just seems that way to me. Just keep the thin CA handy and you'll be OK. These blanks are going to keep Monty in business, LOL.

E

Top Bottom