Spalted Pecan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Black Chrome (or gun metal...I forgot) plated slimline with spalted Pecan and CA finish. Enjoy and as always, comments welcome.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

200522035023_spalted%20pecan%200002.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Beautiful pen, Don. Looks like gun metal to me. Is the center band pick guard? I like that look, particularly with the line spalt in the pecan. Your craftsmanship is, as always, magnificent.

timdaleiden

OK Don,

Now that is another of one of your very nicely made pens. Looks like a custom CB, and everything else is great of course. What stumps me is the picture. I looked at it pretty closely, and it doesn't look like an editing trick, as in cut and paste, add drop shadow. So what's up, besides the pen?

Gary

Originally posted by timdaleiden
<br />OK Don,

Now that is another of one of your very nicely made pens. Looks like a custom CB, and everything else is great of course. What stumps me is the picture. I looked at it pretty closely, and it doesn't look like an editing trick, as in cut and paste, add drop shadow. So what's up, besides the pen?

Let me make a wild guess...there looks like some photo editing just below the nib (paint brush). Was the pen on a wire inserted through the nib and held by a base below the cloth. Then the wire was painted out?

its_virgil

Opfoto: Don't know why it is blurry unless esizing did it. I looked at the original and it looks fine. I figure it out. Thanks...I thought so too but wasn't sure.

Lou: Thanks for the comment. I picked up this spalted pecan from the waste bin at a local sawmill that makes furniture from local woods.

Gary: The CB is pickgurad used in making guitars. I buy scarap from a gituar maker.

RT: The pen is floating and it is not a photo editing trick. I'll share it.

Tim: If you look close at the end of the nib you will see a little photo editing I did to hide the floating mechanism. I stuck a piece of wire in a board and placed it under the blue cloth and poked the wire through the cloth. I bent it about 60 degrees and placed the pen nib hole over the wire end. Lighting from the top created the shadow and I tried to paint out the wire with the clone stamp using photo shop. Lots easier that extracting the pen image and recreating it in photoshop and then creating a drop shadow. I think the effect is almost just as good. I attached a picture of the undoctored picture. Thanks for looking and inquiring. Glad to share.

I have just purchased a Canon PowerShot A510...and trying to learn to use it. Maybe my photos will get better.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

200522034047_spaltpecan0001.jpg

its_virgil

Gary, you are correct Sir! Nice going.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Gary
<br />
Originally posted by timdaleiden
<br />
Let me make a wild guess...there looks like some photo editing just below the nib (paint brush). Was the pen on a wire inserted through the nib and held by a base below the cloth. Then the wire was painted out?

its_virgil

The wire doesn't take away from the picture does it? I may just start leaving it or bunching the cloth around it and not retouching at all. thanks Tim.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />I concur. I even like the unretouched photo!

woodscavenger

I can see you sales flyer. "These pens are so light they will practically write for you!"
I like the pen. Great grain. Cool CB. Is it glued to the top section or does it float? I like you photo creativity. If you pushed the blue material right up to the nib I think It would still appear floating without having to do any editing. Nicely done!

its_virgil

The pickguard is drilled and glued to the end of the top blank and turned with the pen. I really like picguard. It comes in other colors. I will try pushing the material up and around the wire next time and see how that looks.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />Cool CB. Is it glued to the top section or does it float? I like you photo creativity. If you pushed the blue material right up to the nib I think It would still appear floating without having to do any editing. Nicely done!

its_virgil

John: This pen will make it to Ft. Worth. I am getting excited about the meeting. I hope we have a good turn out.

Jim: Thanks for the kind words. I have made 5 of these and they sell quickly. I have some spalted pecan that does not have the black lines. It is more dark brown and sorta smells soured when I turn it. The wood seems to be dry, is not soft, and the smell is not noticeable after the CA finish is on. I have been carrying one of those for about 3 months and have not noticed the odor. But I do when I am turning the wood.

Greg: Thanks for looking and thanks for the compliments. I hope my pictures improve a little. Just purchased a new camera.

Kirk ,Mark and Lou: Thanks to you guys also. Sharing techniques is almost as much fun as turning...I have learned so much here that sharing is one way to pay back and say thanks to all of you I have learned from.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom