spalted oregon myrtlewood set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from leatherjunkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

leatherjunkie

Spalted Oregon myrtlewood that i picked up from Reedsport, Oregon.
I bought a board of this stuff about 36" long by 6"wide by 1 1/2" thick.
this wood gave me troubles.
first it is not stablelized(spelling?)
when i squared the wood to the tubes the mill took chunks out of the edge. i didn't notice this till i assembled the pen. thats when i noticed chunks missing right against the clip holder on the pen.
so back to square 1. what i had to do was part off just a whisker after making the wood round at the edge then file down the tube to the wood. I ended up turning the pen twice and the pencile once(did the pen first). the base is also from the same board.
The pen and pencile set are from csusa.

2006121231148_spalted%20myrtlewood%20pen%20set.jpg

let me know what you think.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

Reedsport! Is that on the Umpqua River? I seem to remember my minesweeper being worked on at a shipyard there in the late 80s. Pretty area but hard work.

Oh...Nice pen and pencil set!

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />Reedsport! Is that on the Umpqua River? I seem to remember my minesweeper being worked on at a shipyard there in the late 80s. Pretty area but hard work.

Oh...Nice pen and pencil set!

I thinik so. I do know that Reedsport is on hwy 101. the river names escape me most of the time.

leatherjunkie

Originally posted by angboy
<br />Very nice set! How did you make the base so that the pen and pencil stood straight up?

Look at the picture at the bottom of the pens. you will see a small gold colored piece. those are from woodcraft and is a slimline pen holder. I just drilled out 2 holes(5/16" bit) and pressed them into the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom