SPALTED OLIVE ROOT "GEM"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mrburls

mrburls

Here is a long time due, spalted olive root "gem" from George (robutacion) from down under in Australia. Bought a bunch of olive root blanks from him about a year ago. I always like to leave my blanks set for a while before using or getting stabilized. This was one of his special "gems" I had stabilized and turned beautifully.
On an Imperial FP with one of Loius nibs and a CA finish. I like this one alot :biggrin::biggrin:

Keith "mrburls"

Attachments

• 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 547
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 446
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

Here is a long time due, spalted olive root "gem" from George (robutacion) from down under in Australia. Bought a bunch of olive root blanks from him about a year ago. I always like to leave my blanks set for a while before using or getting stabilized. This was one of his special "gems" I had stabilized and turned beautifully.
On an Imperial FP with one of Loius nibs and a CA finish. I like this one alot :biggrin::biggrin:

Hi Keith,

Yeah, I was wondering how long before I started to see some of those blanks you got from me, made into "proper" pens.

I remember those *Gem* spalted blanks well, a rare thing to come by. And about the 4 one of a kind supper spalted *Gems*...??? those have not yet been matched since...!

Stunning pen you made with that blank, a good choice of kit also, I hope that the other *Gems* behave as that one did...!:wink::biggrin:

You may not have the original pic of the small group of #22 Olive Root spalted extreme *Gem* blanks I sent you but, I sure have, that's the middle one, the ones in the end are the 4 super,super, one of a kind...!

I'm sorry if I make someone very jealous...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• timber preparation 1449a.jpg
    timber preparation 1449a.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 160
  • timber preparation 1451a.jpg
    timber preparation 1451a.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 165
  • timber preparation 1505.jpg
    timber preparation 1505.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 273
Last edited:

mrburls

Hi Keith,

Yeah, I was wondering how long before I started to see some of those blanks you got from me, made into "proper" pens.

I remember those *Gem* spalted blanks well, a rare thing to come by. And about the 4 one of a kind supper spalted *Gems*...??? those have not yet been matched since...!

Stunning pen you made with that blank, a good choice of kit also, I hope that the other *Gems* behave as that one did...!:wink::biggrin:

You may not have the original pic of the small group of #22 Olive Root spalted extreme *Gem* blanks I sent you but, I sure have, that's the middle one, the ones in the end are the 4 super,super, one of a kind...!

I'm sorry if I make someone very jealous...!

Cheers
George

So did I make you proud of your wonderful Spalted Olive Root George?
Was wondering how long it would take till you seen this thread.
Was going to ask you if you had another 6 "GEMS" I could buy from you like this one. Stabilizing them made them a dream to turn. No tear out or chipping what so ever.

Keith "mrburls"

robutacion

So did I make you proud of your wonderful Spalted Olive Root George?
Was wondering how long it would take till you seen this thread.
Was going to ask you if you had another 6 "GEMS" I could buy from you like this one. Stabilizing them made them a dream to turn. No tear out or chipping what so ever.

Keith "mrburls"

How could I miss something like that...???

Stabilizing them was the best and safest way to make sure nothing bad would happen, is perfectly possible to turn then only with the aid of thin super glue but, proper stabilizing will guaranteed the blank density uniformity...!

I know a have a couple of pieces that have spalting on them but until I slice them out, is impossible to tell what's inside. I get a little concerned in including any spalted Olive root in the packs I sell on eBay, unless I'm asked for them. Some people would see them as "no good" because of their softness and need to harden with something. Most people asking for Majestic Olive or Olive root will connect these species and therefore, blanks as very dense wood so spalting is something that don't belong, so they thing and so is their loss, leaving more spalted stuff for those that know how beautiful they are if treated with care...!, more for you, huh???:wink::biggrin:

I have some already, always had but I will slice those blocks to see what they have...!
I will PM you with the results...!:rolleyes:

If everything goes according to the plan, I should be getting those humongous Olive roots from the 3 trees I cut 3 years ago, some time in the near future, each is the size of a small car so it will require some brute equipment to get them off the ground and on a big truck, and back to my storage paddock for water blasting and god knows what else before I can put the chainsaw on them...!:eek:

Maybe I will have plenty of the spalted stuff in those monsters, age is not a problem, they are about 160 years old, but alive until a couple of years ago, when they were bulldozed out..!:wink:

What's the next blank Keith...???

Cheers
George

robutacion

Olive root resifills, samples...!

Keith,

I will be looking for some more of those olive root spalted extreme "gems" you requested, either today or tomorrow...!

I only though of you request again when this morning I was looking for some Resifill pics of the Olive root spalted or not for someone that needs some and I come across these pics that, were what I was looking for in the first place from a few lots I've made these last 2 years or so.

They were a lot more pics but I selected only 2 blanks and I attaching a couple of pics of each. One blank particularly was from the same small area of the slab I found when I was cutting your blanks, a few pieces didn't make the length and were ideal for the resin filling so, that's what I've done with half a dozen or so of these blanks, that were mixed with the original lot that I advertised here and then listed on eBay as a 9xpack Resifill blanks mixed woods, which there are still a dozen or so left from the original 45 packs...!

Is possible that some of these blanks do still exist in some of the packs I have home but I wouldn't have a clue, unless I check all the listings and see what the packs contain within...!

So, and while I try to find a piece that has hidden some of these treasures, enjoy the pics...!:wink:

PS: I have requested that those that got a blank identical to the one with the clear resin in spots, to send me a pic of the pen after finished, I'm still waiting to see a pen made out of these...!!!:frown:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 100_1075_(1).jpg
    100_1075_(1).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 100_1076_(1).jpg
    100_1076_(1).jpg
    61 KB · Views: 99
  • 100_1077_(1).jpg
    100_1077_(1).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 105