Spalted Oak Jr Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from armyturner

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyturner

This thing just about drove my crazy. Probably would have been much easier to turn and finish if it had been stabilized. I never did get the finish just how I wanted it.

20072145322_spalted%20oak%20jr%20gent.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevers

I don't know how you turned it without some stability. Great choice of wood and plating. Yes the finish could be better, but some people like more of a simi gloss finish. I do love the spalted wood.

Tanner

Nice job Jeremy. Every time I try doing one those punky spalted woods I smear the black spalt and it shows on the finished product. I think it happens when I try to fill the little chipped areas with a CA and sandpaper slurry. I don't know how you did it, but yours is perfect.

wudnhed

Jeremy, your pen looks beautiful, I love the matte finish.

Tim, when I get close to the shape I want, on spalted woods, I stop or turn the lathe on low and coat with thin CA, let dry, only takes a few minutes. When I get to the shape I want before sanding I wipe the blank clean and coat with thin CA again and let dry. I start sanding and don't do the slurry on spalted woods because of the black. If I'm not mistaken the CA tends to keep the black from entering the pores of the rest of the wood. Hope this helps.

GaryMGg

Good golly Miss Molly. Sweet.
Oak is thirsty, spalted more so. You could've sealed it with
shellac first and it'd probably have glossed but it looks great.
- G -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom