Spalted Oak Burl Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim in Oakville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Well another solid end pen, I have made about 15 in the last two weeks, a few have been looking worth posting [8D]

This is a stabilized spalted oak burl on a sterling Baron roller ball.

IMG_8956.jpg

The blank had some natural burl voids that felt nice, so I left them to enhance the natural look and feel of the pen.

IMG_8951.jpg

The finish is a wet microsanded surface (MM> 12,000) followed by a micro plastic polish.

Critiques are most welcomed :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

It looks like in your effort to leave the voids "natural looking" you have what appears to be a white polish buildup in the voids... and that, to me, takes away the natural look.

Just my opinion.

George

Originally posted by Texatdurango
<br />It looks like in your effort to leave the voids "natural looking" you have what appears to be a white polish buildup in the voids... and that, to me, takes away the natural look.

Just my opinion.

George

I think you are right George..[:)]

Compressed air might get it out...appreciate the honest remarks..

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Georgeous piece of wood, Jim!! I find that the compressed air trick really works. You may want to consider filling the voids with ca. No sanding slurry, just ca. That way you can get the smooth finish, but also have the appearance of depth in the voids.

FWIW,

Radman

Excellent looking pen made from a real nice blank. I avoid the polishes when working with voided woods because of the white buildup. For those, I finish strictly with Deft Spray.
[8D]

rhahnfl

I like the Deft idea. I sometimes use an acid brush and dab it into small areas like those voids to build them up without having the whole piece get too thick with spray. That aside... it is a great looking pen and obviously you put some work into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom