Spalted Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from propencity

propencity

Spalted Oak on Black Ti Zen. Initial CA finish looked cloudy after wet sand. Re-applied 2 coats of thin CA on top of the 8 coats already there. This time I skipped the MM wet sand and just dry sanded using 600 grit. Plastic finish, buff with Carnuba and White diamond brought out the luster I was looking for.

DSC_0132_S.jpg

DSC_0136_S.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Interesting finishing tech.....impressive.

I will never under-estimate oak again, the long blank on this component set brings out the timbers well!!

Scott (very nice) B

BSea

WOW, that is really nice. I hate the CA clouding issue. I have almost quit using accelerator except when I'm filling cracks & voids. Great finish in the end though.

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
GREAT PEN!!! Where did you get the Black Ti Zen kit? Don not remember seeing it anywhere. I saw some Spalted Oak last week after it was felled. Went back the next week to get some of it and it had been sold for fire wood.

propencity

Thanks everyone. Spalted oak does not seem to be as prevalent as other spalted wood like maple, pecan, hackberry. But boy when you find one, it turns beautifully and produces some wicked looking patterns. Thanks again.

Last edited:

propencity

GREAT PEN!!! Where did you get the Black Ti Zen kit? Don not remember seeing it anywhere. I saw some Spalted Oak last week after it was felled. Went back the next week to get some of it and it had been sold for fire wood.

Hi Frank. Got the kit from Ed at Exoticblanks.

Last edited:

toyotaman

Great looking pen. I am drying some spalted oak right now. It's very solid. I usually spalt my own wood so I can keep up with the outcome. I do lose some from time to time due to over spalting.

Top Bottom