Spalted Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick1708

Rick1708

A big thanks to papNal for the blanks. I didn't have the resources to stabilize the wood in a pressure pot so I took a different approach. I first soaked in wood hardener until they sank, then let fully dry. After drilling I thought that maybe the hardener didn't soak deep enough so repeated with the drilled blanks. After they were again dry, I glued and turned. No problems at all turning-very easy to work with and I think it turned out great.

The contrast is a bit washed out in the picture the spalting shows up much better in person.

One question I had--the temperature dropped this week (<70) and my BLO-CA finish was much better than in the past. I assume that the lower humidity and cooler temp help. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks again to papNal! I showed this pen around and hope it will result in some requests.

Attachments

• Cigar_Oak.jpg
    Cigar_Oak.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 190

papNal

Hey, It looks great! I've been doing several X-cuts the spalding really pops out. All I've been doing is putting some thin CA in the hole after drilling,then putting a little more after putting in and trimming tubes,then right before I start sanding put on another coat of thin.They have really turned out nice.Thanks for the pix.pap

Top Bottom