Spalted Maple Panache

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ossaguy

ossaguy

Here is how my Panache desk pen turned out.I had recieved several boards/scraps of this nicely spalted maple,and tried making some pens with it.About 8 out of 10 would blow up somewhere along the way,even with soaking with thin ca in stages of turning.

I sent a small box in to Jonathon Brooks to get stabilzed,and he saved the day! I was able to complete it without blowing it up.Thanks Jonathon!

These are the hardest pens for me to make,this is my 7th one now.

I can't wait to turn the rest of the batch of blanks,and someday show the guitar maker that gave me the boards what I made with them.

Thanks for lookin!

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_5927.JPG
    IMG_5927.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_5934.JPG
    IMG_5934.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_5936.JPG
    IMG_5936.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5940.JPG
    IMG_5940.JPG
    146.8 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5944.JPG
    IMG_5944.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 124
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OOPS

It is a stunning piece of wood, which made for an excellent pen. What makes this pen so difficult to turn? I have never tried one, but whenever I see someone else post a photo of one, it makes me want to consider it. Something about them just looks "cool."

ossaguy

It is a stunning piece of wood, which made for an excellent pen. What makes this pen so difficult to turn? I have never tried one, but whenever I see someone else post a photo of one, it makes me want to consider it. Something about them just looks "cool."

Tthe drilling part's the hardest....it's such a huge diameter for the base cap that if the big bit wanders off center by the time it goes all the way thru,the blank is ruined.

Steve

Top Bottom