Spalted Maple Jr Gents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gerryr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

My first try at working with spalted anything. Got the wood from LeeTree Woodworks. It's really interesting stuff. The finish is three coats of Tru Oil.
Comments and suggestions are welcome.

20051021142821_Spaltedmaple.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

VERY nice! I like the shape of the bottom barrel - makes the pen more unique that the standard Jr. Gent, and shows off more of the spalting.

gerryr

Thanks. I like that shape also and seem to be in a rut with it. This is my 3rd Jr Gents and all have been that shape on the lower barrel. It's comfortable so maybe I don't need to worry about staying with it.

Deere41h

Your pen turned out very nice. I like the shape. How long did it take for the Tru Oil to dry? I tried it once but gave up on it because it took so much longer to apply than Enduro.

gerryr

Thanks for the comments. Johnny, the shape is very comfortable when writing.

I don't apply Tru Oil according to the directions. With the lathe turning at the slowest speed, I put on a rather liberal amount with my finger and just keep my finger on it for a few minutes until it feels kind of warm. Then I let it dry for an hour or sometimes more, buff it with 0000 steel wool and apply a thin coat. I let that one dry for at least an hour and buff again with steel wool. The last coat is also thin and I let that dry for about 24 hours or until it feels hard and is no longer tacky. My test for that is a good tight grip on it for a few seconds. I don't know that I'll continue to use it. I plan to try spray lacquer and Enduro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom