Spalted Mango Finial Twist

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gwilki

gwilki

I apologize for the bad pic.

I buried the clip this time around and went with a more satin finish.

All critiques are welcome.

Attachments

• mango 2.jpg
    mango 2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 350
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

As far as I know , I made the first one here two years ago to help Jeff (workingforwood) out with a pen he was making . It took me a better part of the night to figure it out and build the first one . There is no tutorial for the modified cigar but Jeff did one on his kitless version , it's on the front page . This may also show up in one of the Penmakers challenges I run from time to time so watch the Advanced penmaking forum .

Here's a link to the first one http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=5766

Last edited:

gwilki

Travis

I followed Jeff's tutorial on the front page for my first one. I did do things in a slightly different order to accommodate my lack of a metal turning lathe and my lack of talent. This time, I made a couple more changes, hiding the clip ring and using a part of the Cigar kit's centre band as the clip retaining ring. (In Jeff's tutorial, he turns a clip retaining ring from aluminum.) Having said that, the mechanical part follows Jeff's tutorial. The first one took me more hours and more blanks than I care to remember. This one went much easier. I think that I just may have nailed it with one more. :)

workinforwood

They do get easier and faster as you make them. Obviously there's lots of different ways to do it, but the core concept remains pretty much the same. I don't know who the first person was to ever do this to a cigar kit, but Butch is the first person I ever saw do it and quite possible the first person to ever do it, thus the article is accredited to him by me of course. I remember those days, discussions and pens like it was yesterday! Thanks Butch for all your inspirations.:)

gwilki

Thanks from me, too, Butch. It's an excellent approach to making this one piece. I tried the other approach where the nib is turned to extend the refill. It's not bad, but the nib is a slippery sucker, so your finial turning model is far superior.

ldb2000

Hey your welcome guys . I love the design too , it was a blast figuring it out . Jeff and I went back and forth coming up with ideas and it worked first time out , I was supprised that such a simple design hadn't been done and shown before . I doubt I was the first to ever try it but who knows . I like your idea of using part of the CB for the finial and hiding the clip , I went with the simpler design to save time and keep it one size the full length of the pen . Really good job !!!

BigguyZ

Definitely a big thank-you from me as well. I have a nib twist single cigar in process now, but it was a pain with the additional tube needed. I much prefer the idea of the finial twist.

Top Bottom