Spalted Mango

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Darley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darley

It as been a long time I started this pen and that was before I use CA ( December 2004 )allway scare to ruin the pen, so last night I did finish it, do we have any information regarding how to spalted our own wood in the IAP site, any info would be apreciated.

Thanks

200551832735_spmango.jpg

20055183284_spmango1.jpg

Serge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Serge, it came out great! Nice job!

Check out http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ4.shtml for a spalt-your-own guide. I tried, and it seems to be working. Have to try turning some of my blanks!

Darley

Thanks for the links guys really appreciated

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Serge, it came out great! Nice job!

Check out http://www.woodcentral.com/russ/russ4.shtml for a spalt-your-own guide. I tried, and it seems to be working. Have to try turning some of my blanks!

Jim it would be a pleasure to try your blanks but unfortunately is not possible I can't bring any spalted wood in Australia that is against custom rules and laws we try to minimise any disease
here. I'm sure you got some beautiful blanks, but tell me, I going to do Russ brew ( shame for the beer [xx(] ), do you leave the log up right or lying down on the ground after adding the brew on each end and wrapping it in plastic bag?.

Serge

JimGo

Serge,
I did it a little differently. For my first spalting attempt, I cut up some dowels I got at a local hardware store into approximately pen blank sized pieces. Then I put those in a plastic zip-lock bag with some grass clippings, saw dust, Miracle Grow, water, and a beer (I don't have ready access to Russ's suggested horse manure). I let these sit for almost a month with the bag closed, checking on it periodically, and didn't see anything happening. Then, I moved to a new home, and in the process I remembered to open the stupid bag so the fungus could get the oxygen it would need to breathe. I then put this in my storage shed/shop, which is nice and dark, and left it there for another few months. I recently pulled a few pieces out to send to a friend, and it looks like the blanks are nicely spalted now.

If I were doing it Russ's way, I don't think I'd leave the log upright, but mostly because I figure I'll knock it over at some point (probably onto my foot). Others here have tried spalting stuff themselves too; perhaps they can give you more guidance for something that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom