Spalted Hackberry - Baron Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jim Smith

Jim Smith

I'm very new to turning, having completed less than a dozen pens. I thought I'd post a photo of a Baron Rollerball I made with a spalted Hackberry blank I got from Louisbry. I'm still trying to learn how to apply a CA finish and I'm not happy with the finish I'm getting yet. I really wanted to post this photo to show others how beautiful the spalted hackberry is that Louis is selling. As you can tell, I'm even worse at photography than I am at pen finishing:( Oh well, at least the wood is beautiful.

SpaultedHackberry-BaronRollerball00.jpg

Jim Smith
Conyers, Georgia

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OldWrangler

Spalted Hackberry

I can second Jim about the blanks from Louisbry. They make the best looking pens I have turned in a long time. He has the Hackberry cut with the grain and cross cut. The cross-grain blanks are the ones. The wood is hard but turns easily. It takes a good polish and the price is super. I'm going back for more before he sells out.

I had a blank with a small knot on one side. I figured in turning the knot would turn off but I did it anyways. When the pen got to the right size I stopped the lathe to look for the knot and it had turned into a flower. My wife took that one away from me for her own. I was lucky to even get a picture. Look and see what you think.

Attachments

• flower power X.jpg
    flower power X.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 146

altaciii

Jim not bad for as long as you have been turning. The wood is magnificant and the workmanship is good too. Keep up the good work! O.W., Isn't it wonderful the way mother nature works. You took a chip of wood and she created the floral arrangement. That is a beautiful pen, I'm sure she will show it off and creat more customers for you. Great Job!!!

Last edited:

OldWrangler

Spalted Hackberry

Here's one more from Louis' blanks that turned out well. These blanks are only $2.50 each plus some postage. You really need to get some to try. I'd give out his email but that's probably not a good idea on a public forum. Just find Louis Bryant among the members.

I just ordered 15 more blanks. This pen has straight cut blank on the top and cross-cut on the bottom so you can see the difference. Both turn nicely. Inside the blanks are all kinds of colors from greens to yellows and different browns.

Attachments

• hackberry.jpg
    hackberry.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 128
Top Bottom