A spalted gift.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Justin H

Justin H

This is my 7th "completed" pen. (I have destroyed more than I've completed) It was a Christmas gift for my mom. I was going to do it in Bethlehem Olive Wood, but I couldn't drill a 3/4" blank to fit this kit on my drill press setup.

Wood: Spalted Pecan (from my brother's back yard)
Kit: Majestic Jr. 22k gold
Finish: Thin CA & wet-sanded MM to 12000

I would appreciate any tips on getting grain/spalting to line up from barrel to cap! I can't figure out how to get them lined up when the cap is screwed on. :( Other than that, I think this is the best pen I've done so far.

Attachments

• MomsPen.jpg
    MomsPen.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 350
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Spalted wood is always just beautiful and this is no exception. Very nice job on this. You will have to give drilling on your lathe a try it is a very nice method of drilling.

OZturner

Justin, What a Fine Pen, and wonderful present for your Mom,
I support Mike's suggestion of drilling on your lathe, in particular if your drilling set up can't handle blanks of that size.
Congratulations, well done.
Brian.

BSea

7th pen and your using a $40.+ pen kit??? Wow
Nothing is too good for Mom's. My mother wanted a really small credit card length pen. PSI had 1 for about $2. Then I showed her some blanks, and told her to pick out anything she wanted. She pick a turquoise tru-stone. Wada-Ya-Gonna-Do. :rolleyes:

Of course I made the pen.

And I should have started this post by saying that The pen is really nice. I love spalted pecan. Great job. I'm sure your Mom will love it.

Last edited:

johncrane

Nice gift Justin! l would also suggest watching Ed's Vid's, and when you get the lines matched up right! next you have triple threads that come in to play! with a fountain pen i use the pen clip and the nib as a guide to getting the 2 half's lined up right first go!! makes it easier for new buyers, rollerball's you find a reference point or line to where you join the 2 halves.

Top Bottom