Spalted Figured Mango

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from IPD_Mrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

IPD_Mrs

Got some blanks in from Chris today and had to turn the mango. It was really different turning this as it is a very light wood and VERY open grained. Did some learning on this one but it did come out great in our opinion. This is a black Ti Jr. Statesman FP. First FP and first statesman as well as mango.

We have a jewelry store in our little town that specializes in fountain pens. The owner does his own inks. (I will get more detail on that later) Thinking of taking this into him and see if he would be interested in putting it in on consignment. It would be neat to have it in his case next to the Mont Blancs and Watermans. Anyway for those that do sell on consignment what is the general rule of thumb and what should we expect to get out of a pen like this? We installed the pump so that he could use his own ink when it sells.

200791545039_MangoJrState.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

It's a very cool looking wood, and beautiful pen. I was discussing something like this in a similar situation but he wanted 50/50. That's too much for me. I don't know what everyone sells pens for, but lets say I make an acrylic slim at a cost of about 7 or 8 bucks, I sell it for 20. I can't imagine someone paying $40. Some of my wood slims I'll knock out for $15. Bigger pens, like cigars, sierra's, grande's average 30. My most expensive rollerballs are only $40, with segmentations, swirls, antler or whatever, and even in a black ti kit. I need to profit, but if my pens double in price I don't think I'd sell close to as many. If I can sell ten at my price to one at a doubled price, I'm way ahead. Of course I'm not a business either, I'm just making a few pens on the side. What is my time even worth, because seriously I could just be sitting on the couch watching TV. Not every minute of your life has to have a dollar value assigned to it. I'm a trucker too, so I just carry the pen case with me and sell them while on the road to fellow truckers and some to my delivery customers. I've sold them right off the side of the highway just by talking to other drivers about pens on the CB radio...just pull over at the next exit !

mick

Mike...or Linda that's one fantastic looking hunk of wood and a great pen! I've done a couple of Mango, but nothing as extremely curly. That's just beautiful!
Most consignment agreements I've seen or been involved in ask for 30 to 40 %. Some will work with you for a couple of reasons. I'd had one place "cut" me a break because I was just starting out. Another reason might be that they really, really would like to have your pens in their store. Anyway that's been my experience. What you will need to decide is how much to mark your pens up to account for their cut.
As for what to charge for that pen. If I were selling it to an individual I'd get from $150.00 to $175.00. Others mileage will vary....lol I might even charge more since that's such an unusual blank.
There are others here that do a lot more consignment work than me. I'm sure they'll chime in!

great12b4ever

Great looking pen. You should look at the consignemnt situation this way, if you don't have any FP's there, the customers will buy a Mount Blanc or Waterman or something. This give you a chance to promote and sell YOUR pens to some of the same potential FP customers as Mont Blanc and such. Also, this may be customers that NEVER will see you or your pens outside of this store. So what if they want 50% or 30, or 40%. Decide on what you need to get for your pen, then DOUBLE that figure as the retail for that store. You may want to look at what price FPs he is already selling/stocking/consigning, and then MAKE SURE YOUR prices are comparable. You may not realize this, but there are some people who would be willing to pay $500 for a FP at a place that specializes in FP's like this store, but would BALK at paying $200.00 for the SAME PEN from a craft show. So IMHO, Price your pens at that store on a par whith what he is already selling for, or just a tad bit under (10-15%).

Rob

txbatons

Wow. Nice pen. I got some mango as a throw in from Chris and haven't turned it yet. Even a "chocolate mango" that is darker in color. I'm inspired and need to find a jeweler like you found!

As for cost, I struggle with pricing, but can't believe the costs mentioned by "workinforwood". Those prices are insanely low in my opinion.

Dave_M

Wow, very nice. You created an exceptional looking piece of art. As to the consignment situation, I would handle it just as Rob stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom