Spalted dogwood, failed attempt to fill void with coffee

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

300396_213589058701167_100001502242963_566517_442607726_n.jpg

The white spot is a void I tried to fill with coffee and flood with thin CA. Instead it turned crystalline. It still looks interesting, but not the intended effect.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I assume you used accelerator on the ca or the coffee was not dry enough?

Accellerator. Coffee was dry as a bone. Deep void. I figured I'd just hit the surface and the stuff at the bottom wouldn't cloud up.
Accellerator tends to do that if the ca layer is very deep. I figured that was it as most coffee is pretty dry.

Drstrangefart

ocsejd

I really like that pen....the fill just adds to the look in my opinion. You might try decaf next time though. Lol

Bobalu

Did you use grounds or whole bean? Regular or Decaf? I would have gone with whole bean - regular if I turned it in the morning. Whole bean - Decaf if I turned it later in the day. I can't handle caffeine too late in the day. :tongue::biggrin::tongue:

Of course, I'm just goofing off, as usual. That's another fine looking pen from "The House of Allen".

Drstrangefart

Did you use grounds or whole bean? Regular or Decaf? I would have gone with whole bean - regular if I turned it in the morning. Whole bean - Decaf if I turned it later in the day. I can't handle caffeine too late in the day. :tongue::biggrin::tongue:

Of course, I'm just goofing off, as usual. That's another fine looking pen from "The House of Allen".

I always go for the Columbian Supremo. I can kill a pot of coffee and go to bed. SHOULDA tried the whole bean.

Fred

Yet another example of how accelerator can mess things up. Maybe there is a reason that CA is refered to as 'instant'. What I want to know is what should it be called when people use accelerator ... maybe More Instant or Instant Instant.

Seriously, why use accelerator in the first place? By the time you use the CA, put the cap on, put the container down, pick up the sandpaper - or tool - the CA should be hard enough to work. If not wait a second or so longer.

Cloudy CA is often the result of residual moisture in or on the material being glued. And here is a perfect example.

BTW, very nice pen. Just tell people the white spot is cracked crystal ... which in a way is what it is - kinda!

Drstrangefart

Yet another example of how accelerator can mess things up. Maybe there is a reason that CA is refered to as 'instant'. What I want to know is what should it be called when people use accelerator ... maybe More Instant or Instant Instant.

Seriously, why use accelerator in the first place? By the time you use the CA, put the cap on, put the container down, pick up the sandpaper - or tool - the CA should be hard enough to work. If not wait a second or so longer.

Cloudy CA is often the result of residual moisture in or on the material being glued. And here is a perfect example.

BTW, very nice pen. Just tell people the white spot is cracked crystal ... which in a way is what it is - kinda!

Believe it or not, I had a reason for the accellerator that time. The void went from the outside of the blank into the area now occupied by the tube. The goal was to be sure the surface set and letting the inside cure while I worked on the other barrel. It looked great before it was turned and we caught occasional whiffs of coffee before it was over. Next time, I'll just wait it out. I was doing a demo for a friend who was interested in turning and I didn't have an absurd amount of time free.

Top Bottom