spalted crabapple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OLDMAN5050

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
this morning did this euro dressed in spalted crabapple, what you think?

Attachments

• 12-1-2010#3.JPG
    12-1-2010#3.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 529
  • 12-1-2010# 1.JPG
    12-1-2010# 1.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 365
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Never heard of someone using crabapple wood that is kind of funny. The pen looks great and turned well. Another nice pen!

ctubbs

That is one fine looking pen. I have a bit of that wood from a tree in my yard that I haven't tried to do anything with yet. Guess it is time to make some shavings from it.
Charles

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
It was hard to turn. had to use plenty of monty's ca to stablize it as it was turned. no more of these blanks sorry........................

phillywood

Very nice!
Spalted woods can be a pain to turn.

Chris

Great pen on a wood that is a pain to turn unless it was stabilized.

Great job.

It was hard to turn. had to use plenty of monty's ca to stablize it as it was turned. no more of these blanks sorry........................

Ok, can someone here explain about this wood? why is hard to turn a spalted wood and why is crabapple hard to turn?

Lenny

One of my favorites! You did a great job ... fit and finish all look great!
I have gotten mine in the past from Loiusbry and everyone I turn (successfully) has a way of disappearing ... they are always good sellers!

Phillip, any spalted wood will tend to be "soft" and "spongy" as it is wood that has started to decay. Well worth the effort though wouldn't you agree?

arioux

I have gotten mine in the past from Loiusbry and everyone I turn (successfully) has a way of disappearing ... they are always good sellers!

Phillip, any spalted wood will tend to be "soft" and "spongy" as it is wood that has started to decay. Well worth the effort though wouldn't you agree?

And i will add that spalted crabapple is among the softtes and most brittle of them. This thing will just explode on the madrel. DAMHIKT :)

psperan

Nice Pen

This Spalted crabapple is nice, how difficult was it to turn? I just turned a Spalted maple and turning was pretty hard.

wizard

That's a beautiful pen ! I can see where wood like that would be hard to turn. The finish and photographs are great!

keithlong

Louis,
Well, I knew I should have done some more prowling around when i was in your shop. The next time I will pay more attention to the wood lying around. LOL

phillywood

Lenny, I misunderstood "is hard to turn" as may be it's hard wood as for its density and being a hard wood vs. softwood, now I get what David meant. And, yes indeed it's a beautiful wood and David did a great job turning it.
Now, in order for me to really get the experience is that for me to ask if anyone has one or two of that blank who would like to sell them to me that way next time I wouldn't ask silly qsn. like this.

shadrach1944

Splendid Work

Great work! I created a pen similar to this one and didn't know the wood, let me know if you think this indeed Crab apple wood.. Very attractive pen.

Attachments

• CappleMaybe2525.jpg
    CappleMaybe2525.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 92
  • CappleMaybe2526.jpg
    CappleMaybe2526.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 90
Top Bottom