Spalted Cocobolo Rhodium Jr. Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

Turned this one for a friend at work who helped me with a big project. The blank had some spalted sapwood which I thought would add some nice contrast. The cocobolo was strongly colored but when it was cut into blanks most of the color disappeared into a bland greyish color. So knowing the propensity of this wood to change colors in the presence of oxygen and light, I kept going despite the color. I turned it and then let it sit on the lathe for several days. You could see the color coming back slowly.

Anyhoo... this was sanded to MM-12000 and then given a very light touch of tung oil. It was then given 3 layers of CA/BLO and sanded to MM-12000 followed by a touch of 0000 steel wool to give it a satiny finish and degloss it a bit and then given a light buff on the wax wheel . Then it was Ren waxed.

Oh I was also trying out my new photo tent. Still have some work to do there!
scimg5007.jpg

scimg5009.jpg

scimg5015.jpg

sCIMG5006.jpg

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bree

Sweet pen and you did a great job lining up the grain.

Lining up the grain on the Jr. Gent... not easy to do. The trim ring on the nib coupler when pressed in fully causes the cap threads to not be able to twist all the way down. The vertical distance between where the trim ring sits when the threads are fully engaged versus when the the trim ring is pressed all the way down translates into a certain amount of rotation. The tricky question is how much rotation?

Well... the Black and White Ebony pen I posted today has lots of lines that have to be lined up. I had to disassemble it three times before I figured out how much rotation and the amount of offset needed to get the grain to line up. I am proud to say that I got this pen on the first try with no disassembly!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom