Spalted Beech Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KDM

KDM

Haven't posted any new pens for a while. This was a one-off made to order.

I lifted a piece of beech out of a local forest a number of years back. It lay in my garden in the rain for a few years until I decided to throw it out. It got as far as my garage, where it lay for a few more years. One day, I decided to try my new chainsaw on it and discovered this lovely spalting which had developed. I decided to keep it and not to use it as a chainsaw test!

I roughed the blank and waxed it to get an idea what the finished piece might look like.

On the turn...

Turned and CA finished parts ready for assembly...

The finished article:

Click the pics to enlarge.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KDM

Good looking beech. I like the red in it. Nice fit and finish on her.

Thanks. I normally like to bow out the middle of teh barrel and cap on a Jr Gent, but the customer wanted it as skinny as possible, so straight up and down was the only way to go!

Actually, it would have made an interesting experiment to bow it inwards slightly, but there's really only 1mm thickness of material to play with. Maybe try that next time!

SDB777

Couple of years to 'not throw away something'....my your better half is AWESOME! My wife gets on me if I leave a piece on the floor for a few days....

Don't have much Beech growing around here.....hmmm?

I for one love the B2B style of this turning! Well done!!!!

Scott

KDM

SDB777 said:
Couple of years to 'not throw away something'....my your better half is AWESOME! My wife gets on me if I leave a piece on the floor for a few days....

Mate, the idea was that I was to make a hanging light out of it. In any case, you should see my garage: I built it to accommodate 2 cars. There's NEVER been a car in it - it's too laden with the kids' toys.

SDB777 said:
I for one love the B2B style of this turning! Well done!!!!

B2B? "Back to Basics"? I'm only guessing, but, yeah: the customer wanted skinnny... Customer is well chuffed: https://www.facebook.com/FromNibs2Necks

Top Bottom