Spalted Afzelia Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Robert Sherlock

One more for you. This spalted afzelia burl timber was from Keith (Mr. Burls) and turned out a bit different than I first imagined but I do like the character and unique swirls / colors that came out. This is paired with a Jr. Statesmen Fountain in 22k / Rhodium. Critiques / comments welcome.

2-IMG_2486.jpg

3-IMG_2490.jpg

4-IMG_2480.jpg

5-IMG_2474.jpg

6-IMG_2470.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I think some the afzalia burls are better than even two tone amboyna. And this one certainly qualifies. That's a beautiful pen. Great job!

PenPal

Robert,

Every now and then an exceptional blank reveals itself on the lathe, this one was a revelation.
Between the turning, finishing the complete pen has emerged.

The flashing red one side and yellows on the other beautiful so placing the clip at this angle makes for a journey into wonderland, on a clear day you can see forever the depth is highly
desirable.

Made for a beaut way to set me up for the day so thankyou and your supplier for their good taste and judgement.

Kind regards Peter.

mrburls

Hey Robert, That turned out pretty nice. I've been waiting to see what pen you chose to match the blank with. I love the the red burl in the cap and all the visual burl through out the pen. :good::good:

Keith "mrburls"

Jim,

I have tweaked my finish over the year. Here is what I do...
Sand starting with 320 and go up to 12000
Wipe with denatured alcohol
10 coats medium CA
MM wet sand to 4000
Apply another 10 coats CA
Wet sand with MM to 12000
Buffing wheel
Pray it all goes together without cracking CA ;-)

Harry,

I have only one more piece, which has much more heartwood than sapwood so I am looking forward to turning it. Will probably pair that to a Jr. Emperor.

The spalling is very subtle...not as much as I was expecting / hoping for but it still turned out great in my humble opinion.

Thanks for all the feedback

Robert

plano_harry

I figured you need to burn up some of those Jr.Emps on some worthy wood :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing your finishing formula. When you are dry sanding, I presume you are using MM foam pads? I have never gone past 600 abranet before DNA and laying on the CA. I might give your system a try. I can't argue with the results!

Harry

Top Bottom