Spalded Cherry Longwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ken Massingale

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut some blank stock from a cherry root a few months ago and left them in the shop vac to dry. This is the first pen. I really had trouble with the pen so I'm not too proud of it, but do want to show the wood. I hope to do a Cigar this evening from another blank.
Thanks for looking.
ken

2005217215628_spalded_pen2sm.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodscavenger

Shop vac? Intersting concept. I guess that gives new meaning to trying not to throw out the baby (pen wood) with the bath water (shop vac sawdust)! Great looking wood!

Fleabit

Not proud of it? Ok, guess I'll be than for ya. GOOD LOOKING PEN! I like the grain and color pattern. Guess I will stop throwing roots out and start examining them.

J. Fred Muggs

Ken:
I can get from my house to the Anderson county line in about 20 minutes.(pant, pant)[:p] I absolutely love the wood. The workmanship looks pretty good too. Only thing I see you need to be ashamed of is not sharing with your neighbors. [:eek:)]

opfoto

By drying the blank in the shop-vac... He must have sucked the nastiness outof the wood. Absolutely beautiful. [:D] I just took my vac outside to the truck and I'm on my way to the park.... Look out!!!![}:)]

Thanks for the comments folks. I am constantly in awe at what nature can produce. Often, looking at a piece of stock, I honestly do not feel worthy to try to make something from it. The 'burl' part of the cherry root is dry enough to cut some blanks from, so I'll snatch some from the shop vac. As for that, when I started turning last fall I researched a lot and saw that bowl turners store partially turned green blanks in containers of sawdust or lathe trimmings. So, I figured the closed environment, with lots of circulating air, of my large vac that is connected to the bandsaw and router table would work well. So far relatively fast drying with no cracks or checks.
Thanks again for the comments.
Fred, since our schedules aren't allowing us to get together soon, drop me your postal address, I'll send a few chunks and see what someone 'more worthy' can do with them. :>).
Ken

fhinde

Ken, My sister lives there in Liberty. I'll have her stop by to pick up a few samples for me! [:D] LOL

Maybe we can meet around March 14th. I will be in the area for a couple of days. Contact me off list with a contact number. Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom