Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron in Drums PA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another Simple Slimline

Southwest_Pen_-s.jpg

Closeup_-s.jpg

Maple, Walnut, Pudack, Purpleheart, Ebony

I had a tough time deciding If I wanted to use ebony or purpleheart for the finial, CB and nib. As you all know, ebony looks like plastic when highly polished.

I also think next time I'm going to make the nib a little shorter too.

The nib was easy to turn. the hardest part was inserting the transmission without damaging the nib.

Comments and Critique welcomed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Very effective design. Methinks we are going to see a rash of turned nib pens soon. Normally, I don't like purpleheart but this is a good use. Any criticizm would be that only one contrasting wood should have been used. e.g. walnut or purpleheart, not both. I do like the choice of maple for the body. Both maple and walnut are too often eschewed by this group. In my less than humble opinion, they are the king and queen of woods.

Originally posted by rtjw
<br />Hmm, does it have a clip. If it does it looks fantastic. If it doesnt, then I think it needs one.[:p]

No it doesn't have a clip, lately I've been in a clipless mode. Mostly because I want to work up a few nice designs as samples. I think when I use a clip this design may look as a CB

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />Very effective design. Methinks we are going to see a rash of turned nib pens soon. Normally, I don't like purpleheart but this is a good use. Any criticizm would be that only one contrasting wood should have been used. e.g. walnut or purpleheart, not both. I do like the choice of maple for the body. Both maple and walnut are too often eschewed by this group. In my less than humble opinion, they are the king and queen of woods.

I think you may be right, in which case I should replace all the purpleheart with ebony
or
replace the triangles with purpleheart and the band between the triangles with ebony.

Yes, maple and walnut are the king and queen of woods and would I place cherry as the crowned prince of woods.

vick

very nice Ron I have a great appreciation for this. I have been trying something very similiar (different design same idea) for centerbands and have been having a difficult time with it, so I can recognize the skill that goes into a pen like this.

Thanks Mike

This design is very similar to the cigar band you posted yesterday. Even the process is about the same to make it.

Dan (dfurlano)

This blank needs to be drilled exactly on center, just like your blank with the "M". And like yours it was round before I started drilling. I messed up the first blank not realizing how important this motif needed to be perfectly centered.

JimGo

Ron,
Have you tried using this yet? I'm curious how strong the nib end is. I know purpleheart is pretty tough, so it is a good choice from that perspective, but do you think the pen will hold up to daily abuse? Or do you think it will be more of a showpiece pen? I've thought about trying a completely wood pen, but figured the reason we didn't see more of 'em was related to durability.

BTW, I think it looks pretty cool!!! It certainly opens up a lot of design possibilities if you forego the metal completely.

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Ron,
Have you tried using this yet? I'm curious how strong the nib end is. I know purpleheart is pretty tough, so it is a good choice from that perspective, but do you think the pen will hold up to daily abuse?

I was hoping someone would ask me this.

The tenon on the nib goes in about 1/2" into the tube. The drill bit I used is very close to the size of the ink tube and provides a piston fit. The ink tube is supported for a little more than a 1-1/4". I'm sure it will hold up but only time will tell for sure.

Deere41h

The nib was easy to turn. the hardest part was inserting the transmission without damaging the nib.

Ron...Why not put the transmission in first and then the nib. Less chance of damage. Make a wooden block for the transmission to fit through so you are pushing in the shoulder of the pen body when installing the nib end. Just a thought.

By the way that is a wonderful design. I do like the simplicity and the beauty. Nice job.

Originally posted by Jim Boyd
<br />I take it you turned this on a pin chuck?

You guessed right

Originally posted by Deere41h
<br />

Ron...Why not put the transmission in first and then the nib. Less chance of damage. Make a wooden block for the transmission to fit through so you are pushing in the shoulder of the pen body when installing the nib end. Just a thought.

Thanks John.

I insert the nib into the tube and turn both the barrel and nib at the same time.

Good thought though, I have to keep that one in mind.

dfurlano

This blank needs to be drilled exactly on center, just like your blank with the "M". And like yours it was round before I started drilling. I messed up the first blank not realizing how important this motif needed to be perfectly centered.

I have not a more effective way to center designs then by using a round blank. How did you make the triangular cuts? Of course I am assuming that you make triangular cuts for the points details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom