Southwest Deer Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rossvh

rossvh

Deer antler goes well with these SW Pewter/Turquoise pens, and really nice to turn - if you can handle the smell.
RossVH

Attachments

• Southwest Deer Antler Pens.jpg
    Southwest Deer Antler Pens.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 253
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marko50

Do you stabilize the antler before turning?

Very nice! I've never turned antler before. Do you have to be careful not to get into that porous, pithy stuff in the middle? Perhaps you stabilize the material first? ….just wondering:rolleyes:

Signguy

How did you keep so much of the markings?

Whenever I turn it the antler pretty much ends up looking like ivory as all th color is on th surface and just gets turned away...

OZturner

Most Attractive Antler Pens, Ross.
Well suited to the SW Pewter/Turquoise Pens.
I prefer the profile of the "Diet Version" on the right.
Though I do understand that the left Pen was probably kept to that shape to maintain maximum Colour.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Very nice job on the pens!
I have been pleasantly surprised at the sales of my own Southwest Pens. I have found Antler, Turquoise, and most recently White Turquoise have all been good sellers.

solobiker

Beautiful work. I recently turned 2 pens out of antler and like the coloring on them. Now I have to decide what to do with them.

Last edited:

turncrazy43

That kit looks really great with the antler. Nice job.

rossvh

Very nice! I've never turned antler before. Do you have to be careful not to get into that porous, pithy stuff in the middle? Perhaps you stabilize the material first? ….just wondering:rolleyes:
The antler wsa about 1 1/2" in diameter spefically chosen to get into the more purous-colorful part. It does need to be turned with a very light touch because it will chatter if you try to take too much off at one time. I also finish with CA to smooth it out and stabilize it somewhat.

rossvh

Why were you able to smell it? Your PAPR should have taken care of any of that.
Good point. I do use a mask but when I work on antler I do about 6 at and by the time I'm done, my shop is full of the smell from the drilling/snading and turning.

rossvh

How did you keep so much of the markings?

Whenever I turn it the antler pretty much ends up looking like ivory as all th color is on th surface and just gets turned away...
Use the thicker part of the antler. I too get all ivory coloring if I use the smaller diameter parts.

Top Bottom