Southwest Cholla

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from budnder

budnder

Gathered up some cholla when I was in Arizona two weeks ago and tried filling it with some ruby red Allumilite. I painted the tubes red, and in hindsight, I think I might have liked white better - I think the red could be a little brighter.

This is the first time I've tried to make a cholla blank. I was a little concerned about how dusty and dirty the cholla was and wasn't sure if I'd have to wash and dry them somehow first. On this one, I just thought I'd give it a go with a good blast of compressed air and see how it went, and that seems to have worked fine.

Kinda cliche I suppose, to put cholla in a Southwest kit, but it definitely makes for an attention getter.

Attachments

• UnderwoodPensCholla-8590.jpg
    UnderwoodPensCholla-8590.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 339
  • UnderwoodPensCholla-8591.jpg
    UnderwoodPensCholla-8591.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 318
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

Thanks for the encouragement.

I didn't mention it, but it's the first time I've used the Southwest "2 barrel" kit. Quality seemed pretty good to me and was easy to assemble. It's very heavy - 64 grams (compared to a Baron which I had laying around which was 45 grams).

Finding a straight, symmetrical piece of cholla was a little more challenging than I expected. Personally, I would prefer a piece with larger openings, but those were pretty rare where I was foraging.

Top Bottom