Southern Red Oak Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SDB777

SDB777

Been awhile since I've actually 'wanted' to make something on the lathe...always something else happening, cutting blanks for everyone else, or just not feeling much like doing anything.

This one was actually started about two weeks ago. I still had 'problems' in my head from having put down my little furkid, and the lack of attention I had then caused multiple issues...blowouts, catches, you name it. So I set it aside and decided it would be there when I had things sorted out....

Today must have been a better day? Cause I finished it!

Gold Cigar pen kit
Southern Red Oak <Premium> pen blank
Finish was a little different....I used thin CA soak, sanded, then used WoodTurnersFinish in three applications.

Thanks for looking!

Scott (I would have made another but Lyn is pouring PR) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love the pen. Very nice grains (need to put an order in... how do you make $ selling for mere pennies?).

How did you like the finish with the CA and WTF?

My last CA pen I took to work at 4:30 AM (was -10 outside and I WATCHED IT CRACK :eek:. As I watched 5 cracks appeared. ). I suspect my CA was old...

I've done my last few with Water based polyurethane and like it, but I suspect it's a bit "soft" and will scratch. I want to try Oil based Polyurethane and Doctor's WTF. I need to pull up the MSDS and see what they are. Oil based PU has more urethane solids than water based, so that might be better... and I wonder if Doctor's WTF IS an Oil PU?

Any thoughts folks?

SDB777

I love the pen. Very nice grains (need to put an order in... how do you make $ selling for mere pennies?).

How did you like the finish with the CA and WTF?

My last CA pen I took to work at 4:30 AM (was -10 outside and I WATCHED IT CRACK :eek:. As I watched 5 cracks appeared. ). I suspect my CA was old...

I've done my last few with Water based polyurethane and like it, but I suspect it's a bit "soft" and will scratch. I want to try Oil based Polyurethane and Doctor's WTF. I need to pull up the MSDS and see what they are. Oil based PU has more urethane solids than water based, so that might be better... and I wonder if Doctor's WTF IS an Oil PU?

Any thoughts folks?

I 'highlighted' the things I can answer....

#1: I make thousands of blanks, I sort though them and toss maybe 15% as 'not up to my standards'....it doesn't take as long as you think to make a thousand pen blanks on a WoodMizer bandsaw mill. By making a 'bunch' I pass the savings on to everyone else.

#2: I used the CA as a sort of sanding sealer(it is ready to sand a LOT quicker then actual sanding sealer), and then the WoodTurnerFinish was used after I sanded from 320grit though 800grit. I like the results from the WTF, and I didn't have to get my fingers stuck together, smell those fumes, or anything else that CA does(mostly burn my eyeballs out of my head).
-I guess the short answer is: AWESOME STUFF!!!

#3: I am not sure what the stuff is made out of...sorry.

And you are correct Dale....I could imagine, but it would hurt my head to dream that big:bulgy-eyes:

Scott (it's rum-n-coke time) B

SDB777

Sweet pen Scott. That burl is just awesome.

But it's isn't burl....at least in the sense that it was a big 'blob' hanging off the side of a tree. Some inclusion and just 'pressure' from the weight of the timber.

The tree was at least 40"DBH! That is a LOT of weight....

Scott (I was going to make beams out of it) B

MikeL

Very nice pen. The wood colors are amazing and go very well with the pen. Hard to beat wood with that much character.

Russknan

This post may take some strange turns. But, first Scott, please let me offer condolences on your loss. Pets are important family members too, and it's hard to say goodbye.

<Abrupt transition.>

As a - delighted - past purchaser of your blanks, and admirer of this pen you just made, I have to ask the classic question posed by that wonderful character Lilly von Schtupp in Blazing Saddles, "How do you do the magic that you do?"
:)
Russ

eranox

Look at that figure! Somehow, "southern red oak" doesn't convey the beauty of that timber. We need to invent a fancier name for it!

Good find, and great work. That blank and kit look like they were born to go together. Definitely a home run!

BSea

That's a beauty.

To bad everyone can't watch what happens when you run your saw. The stuff that hides inside those old logs is almost like watching a magic show when the slab is revealed.

OZturner

Beautiful Pen Scott.
Magnificent Southern Red Oak Blank.
You seldom see a piece of timber with such colour and texture, other than a Burl.
Your Match to the Gold Cigar was inspired.
Truly Outstanding.
Brian.

Top Bottom