South Pole shorts converted into a pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charles_HargenraderJr

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys, just thought I would share with you what I didn't think was possible, but there is a first time for everything (for me anyway). South Pole shorts that had been in my drawer taking up space because the zipper was broken. I shall attempt more I think.

200610334356_southpolepen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Very nice! Both Eagle and Billy have made denim pens as well. Probably more, just not coming to mind. Need to try it myself one day.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Skye
<br />Very nice! Both Eagle and Billy have made denim pens as well. Probably more, just not coming to mind. Need to try it myself one day.

Great job!

Add to the list Smoky Tom and Mudder that I know of.
I "home rolled" my first one about a year and a half ago.
It was because of my denim pen I got to "meet" Mudder on the phone.
He was using a different method and we traded "techniques"
Ironically I made four of these blanks and mailed them out yesterday.
I wrap the tubes on the lathe using a couple of fids.
It looks like you used wide strips. I prefer to wrap multiple strips, it gives a "blue snakeskin" appearance.
http://www.penturners.org/oldalbums/cteaglesc/Copy of SCart final judge 005.jpg
Makes you wonder why people spend $10.00 on the ready made blanks, doesn't it?

Thanks for the comments on the pens. I can't describe the process any better than was described by ctEaglesc. I just wrapped them off the lathe, glued with thin saturating CA, and turned them after fully cured. I would love to expand the idea, though, and I will. This was the first one, but after that my mind is thinking.....well, if that was successful, why couldn't I.....? And this is just a glimpse into the mind of a dedicated turner, right? I'm not the only one who looks at the world constantly wondering if certain things could be turned.

NavyDiver

OK. I'm a Diver, so we have to take this slowly.

You are taking slimline (for the sake of argument) tubes and wrapping them with strips of denim. Once wrapped to a suitable thickness (1/2 dozen wraps?), you then soak the denim with thin CA and let it cure (24 hours?) The above concoction is then placed on a mandrel and turned until suitable. What finish are you then using (more CA?)?

Once we get to the assembly phase, I think I can figure it out.
Eric

txcwboy

I make mine from laminating denim in epoxy resin ( fiberglassing) to the thinkness I need and turn like wood.My way probably takes more time at first but then you have several blanks ready and its solid denim.

Dave

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by txcwboy
<br />I make mine from laminating denim in epoxy resin ( fiberglassing) to the thinkness I need and turn like wood.My way probably takes more time at first but then you have several blanks ready and its solid denim.

Dave

My way the tube is already in the blank, no drilling[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom