Sorry Kiddo. Copy cat. My 1st casring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alxe24

Status
Not open for further replies.

alxe24

Here is my first casting. I got the idea from a previous posting were someone made a cast with sand and the toos barely cut it. The sugestion was to cast the tubes with sand and here it is.
As far as the picture goes I don't need to say where the idea came from. THANKS KIDDO.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alxe24

Sorry here is the pen

20073912359_Arena.jpg
<br />

kiddo

Very nice!!!

Great pic!!!

One idea. Since it looks like you managed to separate the shadow from the pic, try using filter&gt;blur&gt;gaussian blur to soften up the shadow some.

Also, play around with edit&gt;transform&gt;skew or edit&gt;transform&gt;perspective to alter the angle/perspective of the shadow. Also, on the shadow layer, play with the fill control on the layers palate.

If you are using the layer&gt;style&gt;drop shadow controls to move the shadow away from the pen, insted try right-clicking on the little "F" in the layer after you add the drop shadow and choose create-layer. This puts the shadow on it's own layer and you use the edit controls I mentioned above to adjust it.

All and all, a FANTASTIC pic!!!!!

Would like to see more!

Kiddo

kiddo

Hi Alex!

Was wondering if you would mind telling me a bit about your camera/lens/and settings. I've been trying really hard to cram in a lot of learning about photography into a really short time and would savor anything you would teach me.

Thanks!

Kiddo

Stevej72

Wow, great looking pen? I cast sand in PR and tore up my tools turning it. Hadn't had a chance to try anything else. Did you use CA or some other adhesive to stick the sand to the tubes?

alxe24

Originally posted by Stevej72
<br />Wow, great looking pen? I cast sand in PR and tore up my tools turning it. Hadn't had a chance to try anything else. Did you use CA or some other adhesive to stick the sand to the tubes?
Your pen was the one that gave me the idea. I remember you recent post. Thanks for sacrificing your tools for us to find the way
I used photo mount glue the one that you spray. Being my first cast I did not experiment a whole lot with it. I cast 4 tubes, 2 for this pen and 2 with white glitter, for the later I used contact cement and that gave me a bit of a more uniform thickness layer since the spray glue had some thicker spots. Also I noticed quite a few air bubbles coming from under the sand I wonder if the spray glue collected more air; it kind of foam on the tube. I have no HF pot yet, I have a rain check from the store.
I have a list of things I'll try for the gluing, if any of them is known to be useless let me know:
1)white Elmer glue
2)Glue that comes like a lipstick. The one kids use in school.
3)double sided tape (Scotch)
Thanks
Alex

alxe24

Originally posted by kiddo
<br />Hi Alex!

Was wondering if you would mind telling me a bit about your camera/lens/and settings. I've been trying really hard to cram in a lot of learning about photography into a really short time and would savor anything you would teach me.

Thanks!

Kiddo

Thanks Kiddo: I used the Canon XT the step below yours, lens is a 28-80 Sigma; the lens is kind of soft. Poor consumer grade lens. I'm shooting raw in manual mode with the aperture at 20 (over kill) and whatever sped needed for the aperture. You could used Aperture priority as well. I find it easier to shoot manual just for the fact that is faster to over/under expose.
The light meter on the camera is set for spot since the only thing you need is the pen, specially on your pictures where everything around the pen is white.
White balance set on auto.
The lighting set up was a copy of yours 3 lights no diffusing at all.
The photo lab is Photo Shop CS2. That is where I do the RAW processing, levels, color corrections, unsharp mask and bla bla bla. If you have more specific questions let me know.
Thanks
Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom