Son's graduation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elody21

Status
Not open for further replies.

elody21

This is the pen I made for my son's highschool graduation. The wood is from a Fig tree Edison planted 80 years ago. After a lightening strike in the 90's it was eventually cut down and the wood was sold. I got this form the Wooden Post. The blanks are very pricy $10.00 each but are a piece of history. The rest is done with tru stone Malacite. I think it just became my favorite Tru Stone! The box is Mohogany that I made

200568133239_graduationpen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leather Man

That is a beautiful pen Alice. Your son should love it. The box is very interesting. It took me awhile to figure out how it worked. It was an optical illusion to me for awhile.
Ben

alamocdc

Alice, the pen is absolutely beautimus! [:D] I like the box too. I've been wondering about mixing mediums and you just answered that question. A piece of history to be cherished for sure! [^]

elody21

Originally posted by MDWine
<br />That is a very cool pen, Alice! Nice work!
What glue did you use on the upper blank? Very nice!

I believe I just used CA to glue the tube in and probably 2 part epoxy to glue the wood to the "stone". The blank was stabilized so it polished up very nicely.

elody21

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Wow, both look GREAT! What did you use as hinges on the box?

I used brass rod to make pin hindges. The box is very easy. After you make the bottom and top and router out the bottom, I cut the top at a 35% angle. You can finish the inside and top of the bottom and the bottom of the top before you put everything together. I then use double stick tape to hold the top on and then drill the holes for the pins. Place the pins in with a hammer and nip the pins. Take the whole thing as is, to the belt sander and sand the top to smooth out the pins and if needed , sand , still taped together,all of the sides,so the top and bottom are exactly the same. Then complete your finish and you are done! Not much wood and no exrta cost for hindges! I know you did not ask for the complete directions but once I got started.....

Skordog

Alice, nice combination of materials. I have not seen anyone do anything quite like that with a pen before. btw - nice to see another female woodworker pop up. There are too few of you.

You did a beautiful job on the pen Alice! The box is also a work of art. That is something that your son will treasure for a lifetime. What a piece of history! Also congratulate him on his graduation! You should be very proud of him and his gift![:D]

scalawagtoo

WOW!!

I'm a relative newbie and I keep cranking out standard pen style on my duplicator trying to keep up with the demand. I can see that this forum is going to motivate me to GET CREATIVE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom