Sonoran Sunset Jr Retro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from aerosupra

aerosupra

Finished this morning with second attempt at custom finial. Carbide cutter is still impressing me...Shout out to Richard at R&B Crafts who sent perfect blanks!

Attachments

• Sonoran Sunset_Jr_Retro_Roller2.jpg
    Sonoran Sunset_Jr_Retro_Roller2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 196
  • Sonoran Sunset_Jr_Retro_Roller1.jpg
    Sonoran Sunset_Jr_Retro_Roller1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 161
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Great job! I really like the Jr. Retro. And the custom finial cap looks awesome. Looks like a marble was embedded in the cap. IMHO, they should never even include the stock finial cap with this kit. It just doesn't look right without a matching finial cap.

How do you make those small finials?
There is a tutorial in the library on turning a finial cap. It's actually easier than it looks.

Here's the link.

If you have a collet chuck, it's easier. Just turn a piece round & put in the collet chuck. No need to glue the bushing. Just practice a few times, and you'll be a pro in no time.

aerosupra

Great job! I really like the Jr. Retro. And the custom finial cap looks awesome. Looks like a marble was embedded in the cap. IMHO, they should never even include the stock finial cap with this kit. It just doesn't look right without a matching finial cap.

How do you make those small finials?
There is a tutorial in the library on turning a finial cap. It's actually easier than it looks.

Here's the link.

If you have a collet chuck, it's easier. Just turn a piece round & put in the collet chuck. No need to glue the bushing. Just practice a few times, and you'll be a pro in no time.

Yes, a collet chuck would be easier...I just mount my cutoff from the blank into my jaw chuck and turn a tenon to the diameter of the original black finial. Then, I shape the end, polish, and finish. I then use a small hobby hacksaw to cut off the finished finial and sand the height of the finial until it matches the original. Epoxy to secure.

NOTE: this technique does not provide a tenon to install into the hole of the endcap as illustrated by the tutorial.

Just be careful if you attempt, my fingers often flirt with the chuck :)

Top Bottom