Sometimes It's Just All About The Wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kludge77

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Peter, the timber chosen is outstanding. Your fit and finish are spot on. You made the slim a work of art as are all your works. Keep up the good work.

Charles

robutacion

Oak Burl - CA Finish

This stuff is not only gorgeous wood, but so easy to work with.

Are you sure the wood is Oak Burl...???

If you haven't mentioned any wood names, I would swear on all my timber stock that, the wood is possibly some of my She/Bull Oak. That wood has "rays" and the colour is all wrong for the Oaks...!

Is nothing too strange to have marked the blanks with the wrong name or even someone sending you pen blanks, marked wrongly...!:wink:

The way the wood works, is also as you described, reason why you got me all confused so, if you don't mind, could you please, "re-check" the blank/wood name for us ...!:wink::biggrin: Thanks

The wood is certainly gorgeous and the fit and finish are very good and, while not too crazy about " fat bellied" pens, yours seems pleasant to the eye...!

Cheers
George

kludge77

Oak Burl - CA Finish

If you haven't mentioned any wood names, I would swear on all my timber stock that, the wood is possibly some of my She/Bull Oak. That wood has "rays" and the colour is all wrong for the Oaks...!

Is nothing too strange to have marked the blanks with the wrong name or even someone sending you pen blanks, marked wrongly...!:wink:

The way the wood works, is also as you described, reason why you got me all confused so, if you don't mind, could you please, "re-check" the blank/wood name for us ...!:wink::biggrin: Thanks

The wood is certainly gorgeous and the fit and finish are very good and, while not too crazy about " fat bellied" pens, yours seems pleasant to the eye...!

Cheers
George

Thank you!!

It's not as fat as it looks! The camera adds 10 growth rings :biggrin:

The pen is leaning back about 15 degrees or so and that accentuates it a bit.

As for the wood, here is where it came from
IMG_2322.jpg

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB8&Number=5372062

robutacion

Oak Burl - CA Finish

Cheers
George

Thank you!!

It's not as fat as it looks! The camera adds 10 growth rings :biggrin:

The pen is leaning back about 15 degrees or so and that accentuates it a bit.

As for the wood, here is where it came from

I appreciate very much your reply with the pics of the humongous piece of treasure, the pen blank come from, great stuff...!

Still, I don't recall to have ever seen Oak burl with the same colours and grain/rays as this one and I'm stunned...!:eek:

The resemblance is amazing and as I show on some of my attached pics, my She/Bull-Oak (my preferred wood) has a variety of colours and grains, some of which are an exact copy to the wood on your pen, reason to my confusion and request for confirmation.

I don't know who owns that Oak burl, as I regret of not being me, what a treasure...!:biggrin:

Lets see some more pens from this burl, please...!

Cheers
George

Attachments

• PIC08948.jpg
    PIC08948.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 89
  • PIC09321.jpg
    PIC09321.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 116
  • PIC09334.jpg
    PIC09334.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 128
  • PIC09337.jpg
    PIC09337.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 103
  • PIC09348.jpg
    PIC09348.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 133

SDB777

Wow....I love oak, just wish I had a market for it....can't give it away.

"10 growth rings"

That's some funny stuff!! Keep those pens coming!

Scott (burned a bunch of those oak burls) B

Top Bottom