Something Old Something Blue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from IPD_Mrs

IPD_Mrs

I got a chance to play earlier today before our company Christmas dinner. A while back we bought out all the material from a pen repair shop. I am pretty sure this is from the 40's and the shop has had it since the 70's. Where the blue does not have a lighter swirl it is midnight blue. Took a Jr. Gent kit and only used the nib, clip and plastic threads from the cap side. The top cap/finial was a real pain once I found out that I did not have a collet the right size and that our Talon chuck did not have jaws that would go that small. This was the first time not using the top cap and eliminating the center band completely. It is amazing how much weight those items are. I still used the tubes but will try to eliminate those on my next attempt with this material. Comments and especially critiques are most welcome. I can't improve without other's input.

blue1.jpg

blue2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

Mike:
I don't think I would omit the tubes! By all indications, this is some type of thermoplastic.... Old thermoplastic. The tubes give you a bit of control over ridgity, color control AND minimizing expansion and contraction.

Coming from an engineering family background, I can't imagine giving up the control over the "elements" could be an improvement.

Let's face it, back in the beginning days of the thermoplastics, had our predessors known what we know about expansion and contraction, pens would have been made with cast iron tubes.

I would also use glue with the most elasticity available.

wiset1

True craftmanship here. I love the small details and it looks like a well balanced design. Striking image of a sweet looking turn!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
This pen is very nice. I love the color of the blank and, the craftsmanship is outstanding. I'm glad you're back to working on pens. This style of making pens , is on my agenda. Thanks for sharing.

IPD_Mrs

Mike:
I don't think I would omit the tubes! By all indications, this is some type of thermoplastic.... Old thermoplastic. The tubes give you a bit of control over ridgity, color control AND minimizing expansion and contraction.

Coming from an engineering family background, I can't imagine giving up the control over the "elements" could be an improvement.

Let's face it, back in the beginning days of the thermoplastics, had our predessors known what we know about expansion and contraction, pens would have been made with cast iron tubes.

Thanks Andy. I am pretty sure it is lucite, but we were never told this. It turns like a dream and will polish just as easy. I was hoping to take this totally kitless. I think the threads would cut pretty easy but now you have me a little scared of trying it without tubes. It also sounds like I need to start playing with the rubber CA.

PenMan1

Mike, what ever it is, it IS very old! AND you did a fantastic job with it. I look forward to seeing the next one. Even if you use tubes to support the material, it can still be kitless.

terryf

Mike:

Thanks Andy. I am pretty sure it is lucite, but we were never told this. It turns like a dream and will polish just as easy. I was hoping to take this totally kitless. I think the threads would cut pretty easy but now you have me a little scared of trying it without tubes. It also sounds like I need to start playing with the rubber CA.

I collect fountain pens and have a good few from the pre 40's - none of them are out of alignment, show any signs of warping apart from user chips and one with a crack where it was dropped or banged on something.

I'd give it a whirl kitless and see where it takes you - no doubt to a place you want to be :)

jttheclockman

Boy that is a sweet looking color blue. Has alot of class written all over it. Call that a highend pen for sure. Nice job all around and thanks for showing.

bitshird

Mike I have been thinking of just using short pieces of tube to anchor the nib couplers and finial couplers, this would lighten the overall weight, but on material like Lucite, it would give a little foundation to the stress areas. I like the proportion of thee cap to the body , over all I'd say it's a darned nice pen, and that material should be considered obscene..

PenMan1

Mike I have been thinking of just using short pieces of tube to anchor the nib couplers and finial couplers, this would lighten the overall weight, but on material like Lucite, it would give a little foundation to the stress areas. I like the proportion of thee cap to the body , over all I'd say it's a darned nice pen, and that material should be considered obscene..

Great idea, Ken! As beautiful as this material is, it is at least 60 or more years old. Of course, all of us love kitless pens made from rare or obsolete material. But it would be a spirit killer to have a material this beautiful crack during assembly. You idea has wonderful possibilities for any design.

Another issue with "found" materials this old is there is no way to know exactly how it was stored. It is one thing to preserve a pen that was made 60 - 90 years ago. It is quite another to start putting pressure to a thermoplastic that may well have been made at the beginnig of that technology.

Mike:
That is one great find, one great pen and I look forward to the next venture.

IPD_Mrs

Thank you everyone for your more than kind comments.

When I am talking about going kitless I am referring to cutting my own threads and using nothing from any kit. I have a material in mind for my own nib section that can be used for either a rollerball or a fountain feed. I still haven't figured out a clip, but not all pens need one IMHO.

IPD_Mrs

Well I allowed Linda to take this to work and show off today. Last time I let he do this she sold the pen in the first hour. Well that didn't happen with this one. She does it one better. She sells it twice by lunch time! So not only is it gone but now I have to make another one. I think she is in the wrong line of work.

gwilki

That is a beautiful piece, Mike. As a critique, I would prefer to see the barrel straight, like the cap. It's very fine as is, this is just my taste.

OKLAHOMAN

Linda & Mike you've both drastically raised the bar to anyone who tries the next Lucite pen. Mike your custom crafted attempt is spot on, and Linda if you've ever considered selling pens for a living let me know:biggrin:

Top Bottom