Something new - Something shiny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Larry in Harrow

After seeing an aluminum Vertex pen made with one of John Goodin's aluminum blanks I just had to have something like it to carry about the shop at school.
After some prodding John made up a blank to fit the Longtube Click pen kit. Of course this was just before John was violently cut down by an SUV. Get well soon John, I might need a few more of these blanks.

Chrome Longtube Click Pen in Aluminum

1__11001_Longtube-Click-Chrome_Aluminum-one-Piece_1.jpg

The Cap End
Played with some texturing. Did I mention that this is a one piece blank.

1__11001_Longtube-Click-Chrome_Aluminum-one-Piece_2.jpg

All the machining was done on John's steel bushing between centers using Ken Farrell's Woodchucker Pen Pro
These are some shots of the pen straight off the carbide cutter, no sanding yet.

1__11001_Longtube-Click-Chrome_Aluminum-one-Piece_3.jpg

1__11001_Longtube-Click-Chrome_Aluminum-one-Piece_4.jpg

1__11001_Longtube-Click-Chrome_Aluminum-one-Piece_5.jpg

Thank you John and Ken for the great products. Keep them coming.
Comments welcome, thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Beautiful work, Larry. You made a one piece click look for all the world like a two piece. The texturing is an added bonus. In case you haven't figured it out yet, I LIKE IT! Congratulations on a job very well done.
Charles

Thanks!

Thanks guys. This was a fun project. I really like this kit in action. The clicker feels and sounds solid, the balance is good and the weight and size are just about right.

GReat looking pen!!
I tried it one time but it just chattered and could not get it to go round , kept just chipping away. I was using a carbide tipped tool.
That looks great, I am going to have to try it again soon.
I havee also done brass, that for me went a lot better.

bricketts528

Beautiful pen! I also love the texture, I wouldn't have known it was a one piece unless you said it - wonderful work! Thanks for sharing!

Curly

Beautifully done Larry.

There was a time, that for yourself, you scoffed at the notion of turning anything that wasn't wood. :tongue: You've come a long way. :wink:

Do you know what the alloy is?

Pete

Good Morning

Morning everybody and thanks for the kind words.

How did you finish the pen? Did you use CA or something to prevent oxidation?
Thanks

Actually Mike I was looking for a bulletproof finish since this pen will be used a lot and around the shop. The only finish I know of that fits the bill is no finish at all. Besides I think a little oxidation and even some wear on the kit plating will add to the "this is a tool" feel of the pen. I plan on using the odd wax job, maybe.

There was a time, that for yourself, you scoffed at the notion of turning anything that wasn't wood. :tongue: You've come a long way. :wink:

Do you know what the alloy is?

Pete

ALLOY:
Any metal, the composition of which is unknown to the speaker.

That classic definition fits perfect in this situation; I am a woodworker. You mention aluminum to me and I think "beer can" at which point I get thirsty and move on to better things.:biggrin:
John quotes the aluminum as 6061 grade on his website. Good enough for me. PM johnycnc. I'm sure he would be glad to expand on the subject; after all he's just sitting around knitting.:biggrin:
I don't know about "come a long way", I'm thinking the circle is coming back around.
Carry on Pete. Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

johnnycnc

Larry,
I'm impressed. This is a lot more than I ever imagined could be done on a wood lathe.
The texturing and faux centerband are stunning touches!
outstanding work.

it is 6061 alloy, and it can be anodized nicely as one of many selling points.

thanks for the mention ;)

John

johnnycnc

Larry,
it is 6061 alloy, and it can be anodized nicely as one of many selling points.

John

Thanks John. I pictured the pen anodized black, maybe next time. Know anybody who does that kind of work?

Larry,
black would be cool. there is a special type called "hard anodizing" that in my eye, mimics a black TI. it is very hard, almost as hard as carbide.
All anodizing bulids a bit maybe .0005- .001 per side so allow for that if needed. and have them mask off the interior to prevent shrinking the bore.
I don't have a source I use, most platers have a minimum, and it's not feasible for a pen or two. thought about getting a Caswell home setup, but not sure if it would ever repay itself.

by the way..did I tell ya your pen ROCKS?! :star:

wizard

Larry, Awesome pen! You used your tools well...the pen looks great even before sanding! John makes some super blanks. Regards, Doc

Not the first!

Thanks again Guys. Actually this is not my first all metal pen:

1_Classic-Click-Custom.jpg

This is the discontinued Classic Click Pen from PSI. I grabbed a bunch of them on the super sell out sale thinking I could someday come up with a customization. So far no progress on that front, but then again I haven't spend much time on it. I have pressed a few of the kits together like this and thrown them around my shop to use. They work great as the tool I use them for, tough, write well, handy, and I don't have to worry about marring the finish.:biggrin:
I think I paid less than a buck each. The refill is worth more.

glycerine

Thanks again Guys. Actually this is not my first all metal pen:

1_Classic-Click-Custom.jpg

This is the discontinued Classic Click Pen from PSI. I grabbed a bunch of them on the super sell out sale thinking I could someday come up with a customization. So far no progress on that front, but then again I haven't spend much time on it. I have pressed a few of the kits together like this and thrown them around my shop to use. They work great as the tool I use them for, tough, write well, handy, and I don't have to worry about marring the finish.:biggrin:
I think I paid less than a buck each. The refill is worth more.

Nice... but I think you overturned it a bit!! :biggrin:

Top Bottom