Something new, Opinions please....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

I was experimenting, what do you think.......

Hand Painted using metal powders over ebonite

Thanks for your Honest opinion...... :D

200539232913_m_duo2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Very interesting... extremely high gloss finish... I really can't say what the material is.. Is this a silver powder acrylic you are testing...
In all honestly, I have to say that although this is a beautiful pen, I don't like it as much as some of the others you have been doing recently... I think that if I was going to use silver I would either want it to be the base color of the casting with maybe some black or gray running through it or the other way around...There is something about the poweder coated look that I find disturbing..
OF COURSE, this is coming from someone who has never cast a blank and may never get one right if I tried...

wayneis

Wow, Anthony every time I look at one of your pens lately I'm amazed. What is THAT material? I'm starting to sound like a broken record, I just asked you the same thing a minute ago regarding another of your creations.

Wayne.

WoodChucker

Anthony, it doesn't look like your typical resin pen, so I'm guessing it's something else. Maybe from a bowling ball? Not really sure. [:)] Without a doubt, not as pretty as most of your work. But not that bad either.

PenWorks

Thanks for the comments......
The base material for all the pens were black ebonite.
They were all hand lacquered, using metal powders.
Very hard to photograph the actual look.
This one has a real nice texture to it and sparkles like the front end of a 59 Cad.

At the pen show I was really caught by the look of the hand lacquered Uroshi Maki-e decorated pens. This was my attempt at tyring to do some hand painting. I found painting them, more enjoyable than making them as I use to paint.

Randy_

I have a strong suspicion this pen is much more attractive in person than the photo suggests. I'm not crazy about the picture; but suspect I would love the real thing!!!

Could you take another picture of this pen using a dark background and a more diffuse light to kill some of the reflection?? Think it would help the photo a lot!!

JimGo

Anthony, I agree with Randy, it probably looks better in person. Since I know how much you want an honest opinion, you can mail it to me and I'll be sure to study it carefully for you. Heck, I'll even use it daily for a few months to give you a non-biased review. How's that sound? :)

Great job!

Fred in NC

I have to agree with the others. These pens probably look better in ... mmm... pen! (Can a pen look like a person?)

Maki-e, urushi done with more modern materials. And also safer. Urushi is the irritant in poison ivy and other plants. I cannot understand how the Japanese can handle it!

Great job, Anthony !

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Anthony--you've expanded into the "collectible" area of penmaking. I only own one pen with true maki-e and traditional oriental lacquer. I prize it near the top of my collection. I have a feeling that if I were to see these (and the others you cleverly snuck into your album) I would find at least one "must have". I think the closed end version has more overall appeal, as the variety of metals and the multiple breaks in the Statesman disturbs the rhythm and flow of your art. Absolutely stunning work for a "Westerner"...your background as an artist shines. Just my two cents worth.

PenWorks

thanks for the comments [:)]

Fred, I would have used real Uroshi, but could find any Uroshi trees in my neighborhood to make the paint [:D] Now that you told me it's posionous, glad I didn't.

Lou, I agree about the metal trim. That is why I kept the vase for me. Most decorated maki-e pens have no trim. I think it looks allot better that way. I wanted another Maki-e pen at the show, but couldn't get myself to cough up the extra money, so I bought the plain ones.

I am ashamed to use the word maki-e in describing these pens. Real artist doing traditional Uroshi painting, can make no mistakes, it is not something you can erase or correct. Makes you really appreciate their talent for painting.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by penworks
Lou, I agree about the metal trim. That is why I kept the vase for me.
Anthony--I hope my words weren't perceived as harsh. Those pens, each in its own way, are remarkable works of art. I would be proud to have any of them in my collection. [8D]

PenWorks

Lou, not at all, that is why I made a variety of different styles to see the look. I think the less trim the better. [:)]

If that was your HARSH tone, you better toughen up buddy [:D]

Fleabit

I like the silver one. From reading all the above posts, i gather the pic didnt do them justice. Would be great to see them in person...but overall, I like what you are trying. Let me know if any pen shows ever make it to Norfolk, VA or northern NC area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom