Something new in NH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

Gail (my wife) said she was interested in getting into polymer clay. Well my ears perked right up and couldn't wait to get her to Michael's. Now this is the first fruit of this as far as my pens are concerned.

1_pen-3a.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pshib

Looks great to me....my first attempt at making a cane was a flower. The blank came out looking like something from an acid trip. The blank looks great now that's it's finished and waiting for a kit. That's when I decided to go with simple shapes and abstract patterns .... Now I want to try again.

OZturner

Well done and congratulations to your Good Lady.
Some people will go to any lengths to obtain beautiful blanks for next to nothing. Sounds to me like a little bit of "Insider Trading" may be going on.
Joking aside, Mike don't celebrate too soon, SWMBO may want them back after you have finished them !
Brian.

Well done and congratulations to your Good Lady.
Some people will go to any lengths to obtain beautiful blanks for next to nothing. Sounds to me like a little bit of "Insider Trading" may be going on.
Joking aside, Mike don't celebrate too soon, SWMBO may want them back after you have finished them !
Brian.

Gail is truly an awesome wife that is for sure. As far as the blanks for next to nothing I would never do that :biggrin: I have to admit though it is really nice to turn her blanks and have them come out like this. I was pleased with the outcome. I think she would have taken one but they are both fountain pens. The top pen is a Marksman and the bottom is a Jr. Gent 2.

SDB777

What kind of clay did she get? Sculpey III or FIMO? I know that 'start-up' costs are not for the faint-of-heart, just the tools and everything are quite expensive. Were the flower canes she did here blended in a pasta machine?

Nice results!!!

But at least with the turning you are doing to them....money should be able to be recouped(thus you get more stuff):biggrin:

I'm guessing YouTube videos were also being watched(my wife did the same)....thought I would never get my laptop back!

Scott (I see more clay in your future) B

ossaguy

She did a beautiful job! Those colors really pop.That's really neat that you can work with your wife on pens,that's the like the ultimate!

Can't wait to see the next one!

Steve

What kind of clay did she get? Sculpey III or FIMO? I know that 'start-up' costs are not for the faint-of-heart, just the tools and everything are quite expensive. Were the flower canes she did here blended in a pasta machine?

Nice results!!!

But at least with the turning you are doing to them....money should be able to be recouped(thus you get more stuff):biggrin:

I'm guessing YouTube videos were also being watched(my wife did the same)....thought I would never get my laptop back!

Scott (I see more clay in your future) B

Gail chose to use Sulpey Primo clay because it was a little firmer than the Sculpey III and would allow her to do her canes. So yes she made them as canes and watched many youtube videos. We worked together on the first cane but now it will be all or mostly her. She did most of the work on the first ones too. I also purchased a few blanks made so we could have an idea about what they looked like.

I have one drying downstairs that has some simple segmenting on it. We will have to wait for a few days for that one to get turned. I hope it is half as good as I think it will be... Stay tuned.

pshib

My clay

Segmenting shouldn't be too hard...just need so thing to create a straight seam between the colors. My Texas flag ended up with fairly straight lines. My flower canes come out trippy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 114
Here's the Texas flag after it's finished......it's a shame I got the red and white reversed.

I am just going to add some wood to the ends to make them a little different. Those flags are really nice. Gail made 3 of those blanks so I have to make one of them somewhat different. I have it all glued up now so I will turn it in a few days when I get a chance.

pshib

Bake the clay first. I baked a blank with clay that had wood glued on the tube and I could smell the ca fumes

Bake the clay first. I baked a blank with clay that had wood glued on the tube and I could smell the ca fumes

Yup that is what I did. I have the blanks ready to go and use my parting tool to remove some off the ends of each blank. Then I glued back on some wood and wait for it to dry.Then off to the lathe.

Top Bottom