Something new - Leather Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jthompson1995

jthompson1995

I've seen some pens made from stacked turned leather but I tried something a little different. I didn't even have to mount this one on the lathe.

A Platinum Baron RB wrapped in soft garment leather. It's not necessarily the first pen to catch your eye, but it feels great to write with.

398A.jpg

398B.jpg

398C.jpg

I can honestly say this is the first pen I've ever sewn together. Sewing by hand took me just as long as turning a pen on the lathe for this first one. I think I can get better with the stitching, but I think it's pretty good for a first time.

Comments, good, bad or otherwise, welcome. Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I like it. Very unique! I know a few guys that work with leather making holster and belts that would be impressed. thanks for sharing.

nava1uni

That is a great pen. I used to be a street artist making handcrafted leather goods. Your stitching is very nice. What thread did you use? What kind of hide did you use?
Very sweet pen.

stolicky

Nice, unique, idea.

I think it would be really cool if you could make it look like a baseball glove; although the stitching may not work. What I am picturing is a lighter leather, kind of like the special version of the Audi TT interior produced a few years back.

handplane

Great looking pen.

The only thing that would make it look better is using a baseball stitch. It might be hard to do that small but would look outstanding.

jthompson1995

That is a great pen. I used to be a street artist making handcrafted leather goods. Your stitching is very nice. What thread did you use? What kind of hide did you use?
Very sweet pen.

Thanks for the kind words. I used a double strand of thick upholstery thread. The hide was just a small remnant of a smooth finish garment leather I got at my local craft store. I got some other pieces with some more texture that I'm going to try soon as well.

It really doesn't take that much leather for the pen, but having to stitch it up takes some time. I'm looking into how I should have sewn it (you know, using a needle actually made for sewing leather) and hopefully it will save me some time for future pens.

markgum

Very nice looking and what an interesting concept. One question; how does the stitching feel in your hand when writing??

Mr Vic

Jason, Unique idea and looks great. A couple of tips for the next one......Skive or chamfer the the back sides of the joining side - this will allow your stiching to lay flatter. Mark off and punch your all holes with a rule before stiching. Ofsetting or alternating the holes may look a bit better. Soak your leather in water before stiching. This allows the leather to streach to make a tight seam and when it drys will form fit to the tube. I've atytached a sample of one I did in '93. It's not a pen but a motorcycle grip.......

Attachments

• MC Grip.JPG
    MC Grip.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 208

jthompson1995

Very nice looking and what an interesting concept. One question; how does the stitching feel in your hand when writing??

I turn the stitching away from my hand when using it since it does scratch a little.

Jason, Unique idea and looks great. A couple of tips for the next one......Skive or chamfer the the back sides of the joining side - this will allow your stiching to lay flatter. Mark off and punch your all holes with a rule before stiching. Ofsetting or alternating the holes may look a bit better. Soak your leather in water before stiching. This allows the leather to streach to make a tight seam and when it drys will form fit to the tube. I've atytached a sample of one I did in '93. It's not a pen but a motorcycle grip.......

Thanks for the tips. I haven't done leather stitching before this pen, so info like this is invaluable to me. This should help with the issue above.

Skye

Very, very, very cool. I'd thought about embedding leather but thought it would leach. Like your version a lot better.

I wonder if you can tool the leather with a flame design or something?

Top Bottom