Something a little different

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dthayer

dthayer

Our son has been a drummer for a few years. (And is pretty good if I do say so myself! :biggrin: ) He was the kit drummer for his middle school jazz band and now he is the kit drummer for his high school steel drum band.

He goes through drumsticks something fierce and the floor around his kit at home has more wood chips than my shop! I have been saving the broken ones to use for blanks (they are good maple but don't have any real grain or features to speak of) but hadn't turned any yet.

So I figured he might like a pen made from one of his old sticks. Then I got to thinking (oh oh -- that's always dangerous)... I thought it might be cool if the finished pen still had the original markings. I made a pen using a Slimline kit but I didn't really like the way it turned out -- it was too bulbous since I still used the original band -- and the logo smeared a bit when I tried to add some finish. It just didn't look good but he still said he liked it.

So... try number 2... I decided to just use the tubes, mechanism, and refill from another Slimline and see what I could come up with. Here is the result:

attachment.php

It's not perfect because I couldn't get the alignment right since I don't have the right kind of chucks or mandrels (but they are on my Christmas list!! :rolleyes: ) but I kind of like it and he thought it was awesome. That's really all that counts! :cool:

(PS: If anyone wants some round maple blanks, let me know! :eek: )

Attachments

• DirkThayer_Pens-39.jpg
    DirkThayer_Pens-39.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

A pen with a story!!! And the best kind of story!!!!

Thanks for sharing and bringing a smile to my face!!

Sabaharr

Great execution on a great idea. How about making a one piece slimline out of the drum stick? I make them out of 1/2" corian so I know the drilling can be done, after blowing out the side a few times in the setup :0.

VotTak

Well... maybe if you make some drumsticks for him from Lignum Vitae than his working place would be cleaner. Yeah, but than you gonna miss those maple blanks....:)
Nice pen with history :glasses-cool:

dthayer

Great execution on a great idea. How about making a one piece slimline out of the drum stick? I make them out of 1/2" corian so I know the drilling can be done, after blowing out the side a few times in the setup :0.

Hmmmm.... one piece. I'm cogitating on that but don't quite see how it would work (I'm still pretty new at this - ie: dumb :confused: ). Would it be non-retractable? Do you need to use the tip from the Slimline?

Thanks much for the idea! :)

dthayer

Well... maybe if you make some drumsticks for him from Lignum Vitae than his working place would be cleaner. Yeah, but than you gonna miss those maple blanks....:)
Nice pen with history :glasses-cool:

Ha! Yeah, that might work -- the boss wouldn't be out there vacuuming so much! :rolleyes:

I wonder how much that would affect the sound and feel... :wink:

Top Bottom