Something different with stainless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Constant Laubscher

We have tried something different with the Liberty Component set.
The results were very interesting. Comments are welcome.

Attachments

• Finial Section.jpg
    Finial Section.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 373
  • Nib section.jpg
    Nib section.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 399
  • IMG_27822.jpg
    IMG_27822.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

I find it hard to believe that it would be a random pattern.

Given the name of the pen I was looking for something recognizable with the liberty theme like the Statue of Liberty or Liberty Bell. Not being American I am not familiar with other Liberty images that you guys would know, so I couldn't make out anything.

Constant would you really go to the all the trouble and time to setup your laser just to put a random pattern on a special pen like that?

The laser was not used for doing this. It was a chemical etch to get a splash effect on the stainless after the parts were splashed with paint. Here is a image of what the effect look like. Here is an image of a knife that was done the same way (Internet photo)with a more dense pattern than the pen parts and also I did not etch the pen parts as deep but more subtle.

img_2134rjza5.jpg

Last edited:

juteck

I think it has potential, but from the photos the random etching looks like worn plating (similar to flaking chrome plating). I think that a defined pattern/design would make it look like it was intended, not just worn.

Now, the random splotching on the knife blade looks cool!

firewhatfire

Now if you could etch a logo on them for a customer to make it identifiable such as on the top of the finial. Such as a PPS for Phil's Pen Studio. That might have some potential for you.

ericd

Lot's of potential for that effect. The more patterned, and detailed the etch, the better, IMO. The lines and circles work for me, but the extra "splashes"--for lack of a better term--are probably what make some folks think it looks like worn plating.
Nice effort. Keep experimenting.

Well I agree that the photo does not do it justice, I shall do some later this week with more detail. I can do images and logo's all day long but that was not the intention this time.
The thing is that when you try something new the first attempts are normally not the greatest and that is why we keep on trying to perfect our products so it would be appealing to the eye. My approach is not just to make one but how can I repeat it multiple times and produce quality at the same time.

firewhatfire

Best I can tell there must be something in the water over in that part of Georgia......alot of creativety in that little area of the world.

Keep after it I am sure you will figure it out.

jd99

Maybe if you can etch in a pattern as other have mentioned, I never etched Stainless, done other metals, but not stainless.

Is there any chemical compositions that will color stainless? Maybe a etched pattern with a color enhancment... Something that will enhance the blank....... :wink:

Just thinking out of the box.

Haynie

I like the look on the blade, not so much the pen. How hard would it be to do a finer splash pattern on the pen.

Right now I think it looks a bit blobby (If that is a word)

MattTheHat

Reminds me of etched glass art. I'm not sure if I'm a fan or not, but I think there's definitely some promise there. Like etched glass, it could also be done in several layers to add depth to the design.

-Matt

Top Bottom