Something Different - Opinions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from G1Pens

G1Pens

This was supposed to be mokume gane. It is a first stab at it. Didn't turn out exactly like I wanted, but still pretty cool looking.

It is on a Sierra because I find single tubes such as the Sierra easiest/best for experimentation.

I am sincerely interested in opinions, comments, crticisms, etc

Attachments

• IMG_6267a-web.jpg
    IMG_6267a-web.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_6268a-web.jpg
    IMG_6268a-web.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_6269a-web.jpg
    IMG_6269a-web.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Not to Mokume Gane looking but very interesting. Keep trying, would love to see a good PR of Mokume.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Like you said, pretty cool looking. I may be out of sync with Mokume Gune but, the ones I've seen AND bought, only have two colors. Excuse me if I'm wrong. I have been before :redface: Nice work.

Brooks803

I also think it looks good for what it is....wait....what is it exactly? PR or Poly Clay? :tongue: I'm taking a guess at clay. Hey atleast your trials are turning into potential profit! Not a bad way to have it work out :biggrin:

G1Pens

Like you said, pretty cool looking. I may be out of sync with Mokume Gune but, the ones I've seen AND bought, only have two colors. Excuse me if I'm wrong. I have been before :redface: Nice work.

The tutorials I have watched have had anywhere from three to eight colors. I'll keep playing with it.

PaulDoug

I don't think your are real far off. Not quite what the pictures I looked at but I can see where you are going. Looks nice the way it is. And thanks, you made me look up Mokume Gune and I learned something.

G1Pens

I also think it looks good for what it is....wait....what is it exactly? PR or Poly Clay? :tongue: I'm taking a guess at clay. Hey atleast your trials are turning into potential profit! Not a bad way to have it work out :biggrin:

Its polymer clay. I can only dream about doign four colors with PR!!

clapiana

i had an email typed up...ready to ask you if that was clay....you should be able to get real close to a mokume 'layer' look with clay if you keep trying at it. stock up on lots of brass and keep trying.

a few good books on amazon cover the steps to make mokume clay jewlery.

i am very interested in where you get with this and have even subscribed to this thread ;)

leehljp

Member Liaison
Mokume gane is Japanese - Mokume means "curly wood grain" and gane is "metal". The two words are brought together because of the wood grain look in the metal. Mokumegane swords and knives look very much like Damascus steel but it is not a derivative of Damascus.

The pen looks GREAT to me and I think you should experiment more. The pen looks like a turned oyster shell with blue added in - to me. Very unique. I like it!

Last edited:
Top Bottom