Something Different

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from igran7

igran7

I have a customer who requested a fountain pen that he could change over to a Rollerball whenever he chooses. I contacted CSUSA to see if I could get just the rollerball finger grip & spring. Nope, I needed to buy an additional kit for $18.00. Luckily I have a friend with a metal lathe who was able to make this finger grip for me. I wanted a different design to seperate it from CSUSA, and I wanted to make it so the grip doesn't require a spring in the bottom of the pen to push up the rollerball refill. (too much of a hassle for the buyer to remove the spring everytime he switches over) This design utilizes a small spring at the tip end of the refill instead of the bottom. I am looking at mass producing if there is enough interest. Comments welcomed, good, bad, or otherwise.

20083302133_XX1.jpg

2008330220_XX2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwilki

It's beautiful, Joe, and a great idea. I have a couple of closed end Baron's that I switch back and forth, but always with the spring issue. How does the spring work in the nib end? Since the stock design uses the spring to push the refill toward the nib end, I don't understand how a spring in the nib end can do the same thing.

igran7

Grant, here is a picture of the rollerball nib & refill with the spring on top as opposed to spring on bottom like most kits. Also this is a picture of the New rollerball nib in comparison to CSUSA rollerball nib.

200833024354_ZXY1.jpg

200833024412_ZXY2.jpg

its_virgil

But they sell the fountain pen sections. I had a similar request and purchased the rollerball kit and also purchased the fountain pen nib assembly. This was for the statesman/gent but I think they well fountain pen nib assemblies for other pen kits.

And, your solution is an excellent one. Good luck with the possible sales.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

igran7

The metal used on the one pictured is Chrome, weight wise it is a little lighter than the original CSUSA nib (a few grams) I'm not sure of the cost yet, I just wanted to gauge interest. I have 4 of them at the moment. He is willing to make more, but the order will have to be at least 50 to make it worth his while. Cost will be under $10.00 probably closer to $7.00.

igran7

Don, I had a 200 pen order last fall for Statesman fountain pens with the ability to convert to rollerball. I asked CSUSA if I could just buy either the fountain nib portion or the rollerball nib portion so i didn't have to buy an additional kit. I was told NO. They explained to me that their kits come from Taiwan (Dayacom) already packaged and they do not have parts available. In fact my customer specifically requested broad nibs for the fountain pen, but on one of the shipments CSUSA shipped me 50 Medium nibs, i asked if I could just return the nib section for replacement so i could get started on the pens, and I was told that they can't open the packages so I needed to return the entire kit for replacement. That is how all this got started for me. I spent (my customer) spent $2700.00 on Gentlemen's kits just to use the finger grip portion. Good news is i now have the 200 kits minus the nib, but I can now use this alternative for them.

Dan_F

The pens are gorgeous, not sure that I like the shape of the roller nib though. Looks like an effortless change over for the customer, which is a great idea.

Dan

igran7

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Joe - Those nibs also fit the Juniors. The downside is that you end up with a black plastic section...if you consider that to be a downside. [8D]

Dan_F

Originally posted by igran7

Originally posted by Dan_F

The pens are gorgeous, not sure that I like the shape of the roller nib though. Looks like an effortless change over.

Dan

Please be more specific.

Joe---It's a great idea, and I would be interested in some too, but I do have some reservations about the shape of the nib. I guess I would prefer something more like the original shape for the Gent, with a concave portion for the grip, followed by a straight taper, or something more like the Jr. Statesman, with a straight segment, bead, then straight taper to the point. I would prefer either of those to the gradual curve of the present shape, which to me looks kind of bulky. It's just personal preference though.

Since you want to make a bunch of these, and offer them for sale as well, you might try an alternate shape and see what the rest of us think in comparison to this one. If this shape is necessary in order for there to be room for the spring, then that is a different matter. I hope that clarifies my comment.

Dan

Top Bottom