Something Different

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkeithrussell

jkeithrussell

Here's something a little whacky. It is a black oak burl blank with crushed turquoise inlayed in the "swirls" pattern. Basically a 45-degree cut about halfway through the blank on each of the 4 sides of the blank (like a celtic knot, only not cutting all the way through). Tough part was getting the turquoise glued in place. Tougher part was turning it. When the turquoise sets up, you are turning a rock. I don't like bulge-shaped pens, but this was as far as I could turn this one down. Anyway, hope you like it.

Attachments

• IMG_1612[2].jpg
    IMG_1612[2].jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_1613[1].jpg
    IMG_1613[1].jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1615[3].jpg
    IMG_1615[3].jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 170

broitblat

Keith,

Nicely done!

I assume you cut/filled while the blank was still square (please ignore the rest of this if my assumption is wrong). What about if you deferred the fill/inlay part until after the pens were rough turned? Then you could finish turning before the inlay had set up as hard (I've found if you turn in the first 1/2 hour or so, it seems to be easier). Plus, there'd be less stone to cut through.

-Barry

jkeithrussell

Keith,

Nicely done!

I assume you cut/filled while the blank was still square (please ignore the rest of this if my assumption is wrong). What about if you deferred the fill/inlay part until after the pens were rough turned? Then you could finish turning before the inlay had set up as hard (I've found if you turn in the first 1/2 hour or so, it seems to be easier). Plus, there'd be less stone to cut through.

-Barry

Yes, that might work. I will try it next time. Thanks.

Top Bottom