Something Different

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sandsini

Sandsini

I picked up a couple of Rhodium Long Clicker ball point kits with the intent of making a checkbook pen for my lovely wife, Teri. I've never built a Long Clicker before and noticed that the pen could be easily assembled without the clip. Thinking that a checkbook pen doesn't really need a clip, I thought the idea of a roll stopper would be a better, more imaginative solution.

Since Teri loves the beach and all things ocean-related, the roll stopper is a Sterling Silver Mermaid. The blue one is her's and the pink one will go into my inventory.

Cheers,

Attachments

• DSC00701.jpg
    DSC00701.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 256
  • DSC00696.jpg
    DSC00696.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC00707.jpg
    DSC00707.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 210
  • DSC00703.jpg
    DSC00703.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 171
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

VERY NICE ! . Where did you get the cool mermaids, and how are they glued on ?

BTW, don't you find the rough feel and the clicker noise somewhat distracting ? I dislike that about the long clicker.

Last edited:

Sandsini

VERY NICE ! . Where did you get the cool mermaids, and how are they glued on ?

BTW, don't you find the rough feel and the clicker noise somewhat distracting ? I dislike that about the long clicker.

Mal,
Thanks, I found the mermaids on Etsy. After shaping the mermaid to fit the profile of the pen, I roughed up the surface of the blank as well as the back of the mermaid and used thick CA. It seems to have worked well, but in the future I think I am going to need to silver solder a post on the back of the stopper and drill a hole in the blank to ensure they stay in place.

I would never personally use a clicker pen, but a lot of my customers don't like the fuss of a capped pen (I get a lot of comments about them losing the cap) and they don't seem to get the twist pens. I think that for these customers a click is familiar and easy to use. And with the clean lines of the Long Clicker and the Rhodium finish, I think I can promote it as a premium pen for them. Being able to add a variety of roll stoppers is a big plus.

magpens

Eric,

Thanks for your very helpful reply. You have given me a new appreciation for the long clicker, especially with the rollstopper idea instead of a clip. I have always liked this about the long clicker: it gives good exposure to the artistry of your blank. But I wish they would make the click mechanism smoother and quieter. Cheers.

csr67

Nice work! I made a long clicker for my daughter recently and I "forgot" to press on the clip! Your roll stopper idea may help me save this pen!

Sandsini

Smart idea. You said you shaped the mermaid to fit the profile of the pen. How did you do that, a dremel or similar tool?

I used a piece of hardwood with a pen shaped trough in it and laid the mermaid in the trough and then took an appropriately sized drift, laid it on top and smacked it a couple of times with a hammer (one of the reasons I used actual sterling silver is the malleability). Then I took a small half round file and shaped the back which also gave me a more suitable surface for the CA as well as a better fit for to the pen.

Top Bottom