Something from the bottom of the pile

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bnoles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnoles

Was in the shop today rummaging around in my blanks and found this little jewel in the bottom of the endless pit. It had Oliepod Burl written on it and must have come from one of my eBay excursions. Being curious and never hearing of this species, I matched it up with a Serria kit, threw it on the lathe and this is what surfaced. Finished with my 2nd and more sucessful attempt at CA only using a heavily modified version of Fanger's method.

I have to ask you again to excuse the poor photography, I'll work on it later.;)

Thanks for looking and comments (good, bad and ugly) are always welcome.

20071123631_P1010003.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

Looks like a nice piece of wood, nicely fitted to that kit. The photo is at least good enough to allow us to appreciated the pen [:)]

BigRob777

I did a search of Oliepod and found some pics that look like a cross between 3 woods, redwood burl, mesquite and buckeye. It is said to be from Africa and is from the Currant Resin Tree. It is also said to be rare, but that's the word of someone selling a burl cap. Nice find and even better pen.
Rob

BigRob777

BTW, here's a link to where the burl is being sold. It sounds a bit expensive and I don't know anything about the seller, or the format in which it's being sold. It's just a link that came up with my search. Here it is:
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tls/242693113.html

As Sgt. Schulz used to say, "I know nothink".
Rob

bnoles

Rob,

I really appreciate the info and link on this wood. Looking at this pen first hand rather thru my poor camera skills, I must say that it is one of the more beautiful blanks I have encountered to date. I really like it and happy to have found 4 more pieces in my tub. I have since moved them to the top [:D] I am sure I got a deal on eBay for my blanks as I ususally only bid on items the last few minutes that still have only opening bids (called bargin hunting late at night) [:p] I will certainly be on the look out for more as it is a spectacular piece in person.

Thanks for taking the time for an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom