Some thread wrappings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BRobbins629

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Been working out the details a bit and here are 2 of the better ones. Still a long way to go, but infinite possibilities. Rather than casting, these were spun on a slow speed mandrel at about 10 rpm and gradually applying slow cure self leveling epoxy. Took four coats to get to final diameter, but no turning after.

Will have a real rod master demoing for our local March penturners meeting and planning an encore for MAPG. Here's hoping more will jump in so we can learn together.

The first one is just a single layer of what's called tiger wrap.

The second had a background layer and on top is one of the simpler cross wraps to form little diamonds.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 755
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

Those look great. I've been thinking about doing something like this for one of my daughters teachers that taught her to knit.

What type/brand of epoxy do you use?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Those look great. I've been thinking about doing something like this for one of my daughters teachers that taught her to knit.

What type/brand of epoxy do you use?
Prokote. Using this method very little is used. I've been covering 3 at a time and only using 4 ml for each coat.

jttheclockman

Nice job on these. You are so correct. there is a ton of possibilities and designs when working with threads. It does take patience but the end results can be remarkable. Hope to see more of our designs as you grow into this medium market.

magpens

SPECTACULAR ! . The pen with the diamond pattern looks PERFECT !!!!! . You must have the patience of Job !!!!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
"Bruce has got a project, Bruce has got a project... "

Door #1 is good skill building. Door # 2 looks way cool! I can't see the ceiling on this concept - But it will be fascinating! I'm glad you are pursuing this!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Those are awesome Bruce. Do you keep your patience in your pocket? I could never do that stuff. :biggrin: Thanks for sharing!

Ted Sachs

Your work is looking good there sir. I like your diamond a lot. Nice clean looking lines on it. The diamond is compressed a lot, but looks good like that. I don't know where you are in your wrapping skills and hope you don't take this wrong, but, if you want your diamonds to look a little more squared out, make your initial crosspoints equal to the circumference of the tube. That is the standard layout distance for most wraps. Like I said, I mean no foul and I'm not implying yours is wrong by any means. I do a lot of wrapping and just trying to help out some.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Your work is looking good there sir. I like your diamond a lot. Nice clean looking lines on it. The diamond is compressed a lot, but looks good like that. I don't know where you are in your wrapping skills and hope you don't take this wrong, but, if you want your diamonds to look a little more squared out, make your initial crosspoints equal to the circumference of the tube. That is the standard layout distance for most wraps. Like I said, I mean no foul and I'm not implying yours is wrong by any means. I do a lot of wrapping and just trying to help out some.

Thanks Ted. It really was your work that first got me interested. Haven't done too much since these but hope to get back into wrapping at some point. If nothing else it gave me a greater appreciation of your and other's designs.

Top Bottom